Experience with bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Guest VegasTC

Guest VegasTC

I have a 90 V6, 86K. Six weeks ago we had the fuel line cleaned out and the fuel filter replaced as the car was stalling frequently. Now, the engine started missing terribly, stalled out, and was difficult to start. Also, I did have a little black smoke from the exhaust. My mechanic says it needs a new fuel pressure regulator as it is running rich and also burnt out the spark plugs. They also want to replace the two fuel hoses around the regulator. (living in Vegas, I assume belts and hoses don't last as long)

Is there anything else we should have done while the car is in the shop, especially related to the fuel pressure regulator? The TC is now a daily use car since my wife's 2002 Sebring water pump leaked causing a blown head gasket & oil sludge problems forcing us to part the car out. We just want to be proactive since previously we didn't know about the common 2.7L problems that caused early engine failures.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Guest VegasTC

Thank you for your reply and the advice. I believe that was done 6 weeks ago with the cleaning of the fuel system. My wife can't find the paperwork, so I will have to ask my mechanic.

Take care,

Jim

Guest Jim_McNally

Fuel filter? Sounds like the cleaning loosened gunk in the lines, which got into the FPR and caused it to stick open, causing the engine to run rich (hence the symptoms you got). Just watch for any other engine running issues - might have gotten gunk into the injectors, and you don't want to get one running lean and overheating a cylinder after you replace the FPR...

Jim