Looking for wiring schematics for an '88

Guest astro355

Guest astro355

Specially looking for CRT and climate control schematics but anything that deals with the dash electronics will do. I have to imagine there is a databases somewhere, I just cant find.

And then maybe someone can tell me how to get my signature picture to actually display.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

The factory service manual has complete wiring diagrams of the car but only goes so far as showing the interconnection of modules/devices, and various splice and connector points. If you register for access to the online scan of the factory service manual at reatta.net, you can display and print copied of any relevant sections.

That said, the factory manual does not provide internal schematics or parts lists of the modules and components themselves (such as the CRT for example). Also, most key parts (IC's and transistors) are re-stamped with Delco house numbers, making them difficult to identify. GM never published service data for these; at least not accessible to the general public. I have to figure that Delco authorized service centers were given service data of some sort, but it appears that they have managed to keep it "out of the wild" as I have never seen any such documentation leaked in print or electronic form. That is pretty remarkable when you consider it, as if print copies exist, then it would be almost impossible to ensure that someone didn't scan and release them at some point.

Either there are stiff penalties for doing so that have somehow managed to prevent this, or the information is in a form that is not readily redistributed, such as microfiche. Clearly, such information was not distributed electronically in 1988 as high resolution computer displays and CD ROM drives were still in their infancy, or even non-existent practically speaking.

KDirk

Guest astro355

Luckily all I'm really looking for is the wiring schematics. I get to the internals later. I already started the aftermarket radio install, thankfully easy than I originally predicted. There is a little more room in cassette player housing than originally thought. Still some cutting of metal but not so much. And better news, with the non-working radio module removed, there is plenty of room to relocate the shifter backwards.

Guest whitey
Jim,

The factory service manual has complete wiring diagrams of the car but only goes so far as showing the interconnection of modules/devices, and various splice and connector points. If you register for access to the online scan of the factory service manual at reatta.net, you can display and print copied of any relevant sections.

That said, the factory manual does not provide internal schematics or parts lists of the modules and components themselves (such as the CRT for example). Also, most key parts (IC's and transistors) are re-stamped with Delco house numbers, making them difficult to identify. GM never published service data for these; at least not accessible to the general public. I have to figure that Delco authorized service centers were given service data of some sort, but it appears that they have managed to keep it "out of the wild" as I have never seen any such documentation leaked in print or electronic form. That is pretty remarkable when you consider it, as if print copies exist, then it would be almost impossible to ensure that someone didn't scan and release them at some point.

Either there are stiff penalties for doing so that have somehow managed to prevent this, or the information is in a form that is not readily redistributed, such as microfiche. Clearly, such information was not distributed electronically in 1988 as high resolution computer displays and CD ROM drives were still in their infancy, or even non-existent practically speaking.

KDirk

I've found online a 1986-89 Buick E (Reatta/Riviera) parts and illustration catalog issued by GM in 1889. These have original part numbers and exploded diagrams. I'd give it a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as coverage goes but it generally works for me. It still, however, not be specific enough for your needs. The company that sells them is Faxonautoliterature.com

Edited by whitey (see edit history)

Guest whitey
Luckily all I'm really looking for is the wiring schematics. I get to the internals later. I already started the aftermarket radio install, thankfully easy than I originally predicted. There is a little more room in cassette player housing than originally thought. Still some cutting of metal but not so much. And better news, with the non-working radio module removed, there is plenty of room to relocate the shifter backwards.

If you get access to the FSM as Kevin suggests you can look in section 8A-66 starts climate control, 8A-150 the radio, 8A-83 the Graphics control Center (CRT) and 8a-201 the illustrations. Hope this helps.

Guest astro355

Thanks Whitney. Reading back to what I posted, I didn't word what I want right. I was looking for the wiring schematics between the components, not layouts of the individual components. Don't get me wrong, I love keeping a car original but I just have a different vision for my Reatta. Next year I'll either be dropping in a series2/3 3800 supercharged powertrain or if I'm lucky enough a V8 setup from a GXP. But that's only if I'm really lucky. Honestly, if it comes down to keeping the original digital dash versus one of those powertrains, the answer is pretty self-explanatory.

Jim

Thanks Whitney. Reading back to what I posted, I didn't word what I want right. I was looking for the wiring schematics between the components, not layouts of the individual components. Don't get me wrong, I love keeping a car original but I just have a different vision for my Reatta. Next year I'll either be dropping in a series2/3 3800 supercharged powertrain or if I'm lucky enough a V8 setup from a GXP. But that's only if I'm really lucky. Honestly, if it comes down to keeping the original digital dash versus one of those powertrains, the answer is pretty self-explanatory.

Jim

As long as you stick with the V6 you will be able to keep the electronics. If you go with the V8 I would like all your electronics/ wireharnesses as I have a radio mod and touch screen mod I want to work on, but need a complete set up to do the testing out of the car.