401, 430, or 455?

First, you would have to use the S/T400 with the 401, the 401 is basicly the same engine used in 65 GS, motor mounts are different...as to gas milage,properly tuned, these motors can get 15 easily if you keep your foot out of it. I would go with the 401 also as the 455 and 430 are heavier engines than the 401 by a fair amt. as I recall....<P> Hope This Helps, don55

You could use a ST300 but it would have to be one from a 401. <P>The 430/455 would ne a much easier swap being you can buy everything to do it. The 401 bolts in with Gran Sport ONLY parts that are very hard to come by. The 455 has much more potential and comes stock with 513 FT LBs torque!!!! <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

I did a 455 swap to my first 64 Skylark back in the mid 70's and it was pretty easy. Properly set up I got between 15-17 mpg with the right gearing. In fact, I had a 2.56 gear in it for a while that got almost 20 mpg!<BR>The 401/425 would need 65-66 GS only engine mounts, frame pads and exhaust manifolds as previously stated. If using a ST 300, you will need to get that too from only a 65-66 GS. In short, it means $$$$$$<BR>The frames pads for a 400-430-455 are more common. I think Poston Enterprises even repro's the 67 GS400 pads at a reasonable price. These are direct bolt-in's with no drilling the frame. The 68-72 pads will work, but you will have to drill the frame for them to fit. You will need the big block rubber mounts.<BR>You WILL need to use a rear sump oil pan and pickup in order to clear the cross member. Some 430's and Riviera (1970 only) 455's used a center sump pan that will not fit.<BR>One obstacle will be the radiator. The 64 Skylark used a 2 row downflow radiator (my present 64 has a 3 row with a 300-4 bbl. I am trying to figure that one out!) which will not be enough to cool the added cubes. You can fit in a 67 GS 400 4 row cross flow radiator with some work and should also use the A/C fan shroud. Year One, I believe, sells a repro of that as well. CARS in NJ may also have it.<BR>Exhaust system will be a standard set up from the 67 GS400. <BR>The TH 400 would be the way to go. The cross member goes back and drill new holes to mount it. Driveshaft shortened by about 1 inch if memory is correct or get one from a 67 396 Chevelle, GTO, 442 or GS 400.<BR>The column shifter should work, but in order to use L1, you will need to remove the dash cluster and trim the PRNDL lens so the indicator will not hit it. For some reason the column shifter has enough movement to use all the shift quadrants.<BR>This is not all the stuff you will have to do, but should give you an idea.<BR>Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps.<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark

Hey All,<P>I have a 64 skylark convertible that I am restoring and I am considering an engine swap. I am new to Buick's so I need to advice. I have read other posts where others prefer the 430 over the 455. But, what about the 401? Fuel consumption is of importance followed by power as I would like to do a lot of touring. Also, can the R200 overdrive tranny mate to a big block. With the overdrive, can these engines get over 15 mpg? Thanks for your help?<P>Willis

I like the 455 swap. For a big block this engine was lighter than all other offerings from all other divisions. Easy 400 hp, like Brian said, lots of torque. If you like Buicks, get used to TORQUE! The 401 is heavier and more difficult to hot rod economically. It is most beautiful and unique, though. Aluminum valve covers, big chrome air cleaner, 2x4bbls from the factory...I am putting the pistons into a 425 tonight. Can't wait to get this one running. So, keep it BUICK (right Brian!) and enjoy! <P>------------------<BR>Ted Nagel <BR>65 Wildcats <BR>65 Riviera <BR>65 Special Wagon 455 <BR>70 GS Stage1 4 Speed<BR>66 Fleetwood Brougham

Gbiggers,<BR>From what I can remember (it was 25 years ago) the 64 core support fit the 67 4 row radiator fine. The lower brackets to the downflow need to be removed. A set of rubber radiator cushions from a Pontiac 4 row were used and fit into the core support.<BR>I used upper brackets from an old Cadillac which fit the 4 row perfectly. Your best bet today would be to find an upper radiator panel from a 67 Skylark. The rubber may need to be trimmed and you will likely have to drill the support in the proper place and used nuts/bolts to hold it down.<BR>Since the lower downflow brackets had the bottom shroud stands, you will have to make some 90 degree angle brackets to support the repro shroud I mentioned in my earlier post.<BR>This should do it, and you won't have to go through the work of changing the support.<BR>The 67 GS 400 shroud is a must as the 64 shroud (or 65-67 300/340) will not line up with the fan on a 400/430/455 as the water pump is offset to the drivers side.<BR>Hope this helps you.<BR>Mark

I put a 455 motor and tranny from a 1970 electra in a 1965 skylark.All I did was put<BR>it right on the 300 mounts and shorten the driveshaft. I put spacers in to make up difference in the 300 frame mount and the electra motor mount to prevent the motor from sliding back and forth.It had ac and was done in 1984 and is still running great.It has dual exhaust had 256 gears and averaged 20 mpg.What fun this car was.At times I still wish I owned it.<P>------------------<BR>Wildcats.Cars of comfort and speed.<BR>Looking for 70 wildcat parts.Russ

Im also collecting the needed parts to do a 400/430/455 swap ia a 64 Abody.<P>I have several 64/65's and was thinking maybe the Radiator core support from the 65 might be an easy swap to the 64 as the fenders are very simular. <BR>A little touch up in the bumper area and who knows???<P>Then I could use a 4core crossflow. <P>Anybody out there tried that one? <P>------------------<BR>

• 11 years later...