1941 Buick door weatherstrip

Buicknutty

Folks;

I was looking at trying to put the weatherstriping on the doors of my '41 coupe last night and can't figure out where it goes on the door edges. All of this stuff was off of the car when I bought it. When I position it along the edge of the door, it seems to be too thick for the door to close. The weather strip that I have is repro material that is supposed to be correct for the car. It's about 3/4" thick or so, and quite soft, but it still won't compress enough for the door to close properly when I put it where I think it should be.

Could someone post a few pictures of a door with the weatherstrip on?

Thanks.

Keith

Guest Earl
post-62560-143139081343_thumb.jpgHope these help. Sorry about the mess my car is right now, I've been working on the engine for the last month. I don't know if this is the original weatherstripping or not on the car, but it's still fairly soft and the work that had been done on the car was pretty sloppy and if they did replace it, they did a pretty decent job of it.

post-62560-143139081305_thumb.jpg

Earl;

Thanks for posting the pictures, that helps. As far as I can tell, that is about where I think the weatherstrip should go. I'll have another go at mine, though I don't know how it will go along the "shoulder" part, where it angles up along the back edge of the to the roofline. Maybe because mine is a coupe?

Keith

Looks as though you have the correct profile but you have it installed wrong. The part you have against the door upper flange is the bottom. It is glued to the door upper flange with the shorter leg against the flange. The taller leg actually lies against the body when the door is shut.