Wiring question

RivNut

I've been through the service manuals (chassis and body) and looked at every wiring diagram in them. I've found out how to wire electro cruise units, reverbs, twilight sentinels, and a lot of other weird stuff. What I can't find, either on an illustration or in a wiring diagram, is where in the heck does the circuit breaker for the power seats draw its current? Can anyone help? Same for the power windows. :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Tom,

That's the part that I know. What I don't know is where the circuit breaker ties into the main harness. I'm adding power seats to my '64 and from the kick panel to the seat I'm in good shape. I don't know where to tie the circuit breaker into the main harness nor what gauge wire to use to use.

Thanks,

Ed

Oh...dont have access to a schematic or car right now but I would wager the factory pulled a constant hot from the headlight switch or the fuse panel. If you inspect the back of the fuse panel there should be male spade type connectors one of which may be unoccupied. I`m surprised the wiring does not already exist in that I dont think Buick speced out a different main harness based on whether the car was power seat/window equipped or not. There are two harnesses, a standard and accessory harness but both should have the pigtails for the breaker which feeds the power seats and windows. Have you actually inspected what exists in the harness or are you in the planning stage?

Tom Mooney

P.S. Good time to check the connectors and wiring on the back of the fuse panel as this is a common problem area and will leave you stranded. Use the same gauge wire as on the protected side of the breaker...10 or 12 ga.?

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Thanks Tom,

I didn't think to look, but I know that I've found terminals folded over and taped to harnesses before. I was just surprised that nothing showed up on any schematics.

Are you making plans to go to Lexington next year? Long ways off, but I was just wondering what your thoughts might be at this time.

Ed

Guest Rob J

Ed, yes, connect it to one of the non used spade connectors on the back of the fuse block. Also use at least 10 gauge wire for that feed.

• 2 weeks later...

While taking my car apart I revisted your question. I think this will clarify the answer. The Orange w/black wires go to the seat and the window power in the door. the Red Wire comes in from the firewall and attaches to this relay and then two orange w black wires come off the other post one to the door, one to the seat. So yes same as the power windows

wire.JPG

Thanks for the photo. That makes it pretty simple. I thought that there would be a separate circuit breaker for each system (one for the windows and one for the seat.) That explains why I couldn't find the other wire leading to the second circuit breaker. DUH. Everything should be pretty simple from here.

Thanks again,

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

To bring this up to date, Rob in Post #6 is correct. As I was pulling the seat wiring from my '63 parts car, I found a heavy gauge wire that ran from the circuit breaker (loacted behind the kick panel on the drivier's side.) That wire runs up inside the body and underneath the dash. Onthe other end, it has a female spade terminal on it. That was plugged into a male spade terminal on the back side of the fuse block.

I don't think the terminal on the back of the fuse block would have been visible/accessible unless I had the rest of the dash removed. But it's there along with a couple of other male spade terminals. So if you're looking for a 12V source that is not fused and is BAT, not IGN, and will carry some amperage, that's where you'll find it. Just make sure that if you do use it that you but a fuse / circult breaker in line somewhere that is compatible with the gauge of the wire and the amps that your accessory will be pulling.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)