1926 Pontiac Oakland Landau Sedan

Guest Pontiac 1926

Guest Pontiac 1926

My brother is restoring a 1926 Pontiac Oakland. Built in 09-1926, displacement is 3082 ccm. We have trouble finding parts and would appreciate any help.

We are looking for Head gasket or gasket kit, a water pump with pulley. (pulley part number 626142)

Any idea where we can purchase these?

Guest Wayne_Koffel
My brother is restoring a 1926 Pontiac Oakland. Built in 09-1926, displacement is 3082 ccm. We have trouble finding parts and would appreciate any help.

We are looking for Head gasket or gasket kit, a water pump with pulley. (pulley part number 626142)

Any idea where we can purchase these?

I'm confused. Is this a Pontiac or an Oakland ? Oakland made Pontiac. Sometimes I see questions like this and they are Oakland cars and sometimes Pontiacs. The cars are different and parts are different. I have many parts for Oaklands, none for Pontiacs.

Wayne Koffel

President & Tech Director Of Oakland Owners Club International

Guest Pontiac 1926
I'm confused. Is this a Pontiac or an Oakland ? Oakland made Pontiac. Sometimes I see questions like this and they are Oakland cars and sometimes Pontiacs. The cars are different and parts are different. I have many parts for Oaklands, none for Pontiacs.

Wayne Koffel

President & Tech Director Of Oakland Owners Club International

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your response.

I don't know the answer, but have attached some pictures of the parts that may help.post-86310-143139069998_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139069983_thumb.jpg

post-86310-14313906999_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139069992_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139069994_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139069996_thumb.jpg

Obviously you have a Pontiac. Wether or not it is a 26 could be confirmed by seeing you fenders. If they are stepped it is an early series 6-27 which commonly is refered to as a 1926. If the fenders have a continous round crown it is a late series 6-27 or what is commonly called a 1927. Pontiac only used the year reference in Parts books. Otherwise they used series designations until 1932.

There never was a Pontiac Oakland or an Oakland Pontiac. The parent company was General Motors, the division was Oakland and the car was Pontiac. Interestingly enough the engine was designed by Chevrolet but they did not wish to build the car as it was a flathead so it was given to Oakland to build and quickly pushed it parent out of business. Other than gear ratios (because the Pontiac engine is a short stroke engine) you will find that all the running gear parts are the same as Chevrolet. When it became obvious that the Chevrolet differential was not strong enough for the Pontiac Six they started using the Oakland hotchkiss drive late in Series 6-28 (usually refered to as 1929 but any 10 spoke 1928 fits in this category.

Guest Pontiac 1926
Obviously you have a Pontiac. Wether or not it is a 26 could be confirmed by seeing you fenders. If they are stepped it is an early series 6-27 which commonly is refered to as a 1926. If the fenders have a continous round crown it is a late series 6-27 or what is commonly called a 1927. Pontiac only used the year reference in Parts books. Otherwise they used series designations until 1932.

There never was a Pontiac Oakland or an Oakland Pontiac. The parent company was General Motors, the division was Oakland and the car was Pontiac. Interestingly enough the engine was designed by Chevrolet but they did not wish to build the car as it was a flathead so it was given to Oakland to build and quickly pushed it parent out of business. Other than gear ratios (because the Pontiac engine is a short stroke engine) you will find that all the running gear parts are the same as Chevrolet. When it became obvious that the Chevrolet differential was not strong enough for the Pontiac Six they started using the Oakland hotchkiss drive late in Series 6-28 (usually refered to as 1929 but any 10 spoke 1928 fits in this category.

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached some photos. Can you confirm that it is a Pontiac and whether it is a 6-26 or 6-27?

I appreciate your help.

post-86310-143139072812_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139072793_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139072808_thumb.jpg

post-86310-14313907281_thumb.jpg

post-86310-143139072814_thumb.jpg

Your car appears to be an early series 6-27 which would have been commonly refered to and licensed as a 1926. There never was a series 6-26.

It looks like a great car. If it runs as well as it looks you should have lots of enjoyment in it.

Guest Pontiac 1926
Your car appears to be an early series 6-27 which would have been commonly refered to and licensed as a 1926. There never was a series 6-26.

It looks like a great car. If it runs as well as it looks you should have lots of enjoyment in it.

Thanks for your information. This will help me with my search of gaskets and waterpump.

Have a wonderful day

If you look carefully on the radiator shell - down the left side inner i think you will find the day of manufacture of the shell. On the left side engine will be a block casting date - below the stamped engine number. The top tank of the radiator should have its month of manufacture. Your engine number should be no higher than about 42,000. I think the changeover date from the first to second series was about July or August. The early series like yours has a completely different steering box and also a different steering wheel with steel spokes where the next series had alloy. I have one of each type chassis, although neither is complete.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Just reread your enquiry and looked at the photos. Two things; all of the 1926 and 1927 Pontiacs were model 6-27 but there were at least two distinct diferent models and the serial number plate does not appear to be original. The originals I have seen are all stamped through from the other side before they were riveted on.

post-59373-143139081482_thumb.jpg

Just reread your enquiry and looked at the photos. Two things; all of the 1926 and 1927 Pontiacs were model 6-27 but there were at least two distinct different models and the serial number plate does not appear to be original. The originals I have seen are all stamped through from the other side before they were riveted on.

The attached pics show the chassis plate of a US assembled car - it is raw state - even though it is hard to read the style is distinguishable. The next one is the chassis plate of my New Zealand assembled chassis and the last one is the casting date of the engine that runs which is September 10 1926. Note also that the serial number on my US assembled chassis is about 100 numbers earlier than the car found in 2009 and touted as the oldest surviving Pontiac, even though the factory has a coupe which is supposedly #1. I am sure there must be other cars around with number earlier than mine.

post-59373-143139081473_thumb.jpg

post-59373-143139081479_thumb.jpg

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)