Transmission Mount for '65 Riviera

Ron Luchene

I need to replace my trans mount and did a quick search here to see what others have been doing since the local auto parts stores no longer list a replacement part. I realize that CARS sells the correct mount for $35 plus shipping but I am not opposed to other alternatives.

I picked up a mount for a '73 Riviera and it is identical in shape and size but instead of two holes for the offset bolts to mount it to the crossmember it has a single bolt projecting from the center of the mount. Before I drill a hole in my transmission crossmember, are their other options.

Thanks - Ron

I went ahead and modified my transmission crossmember to accept the '73 Riviera mount with the single stud in lieu of the two bolt holes. While the correct mount is still available from CARS it would have been nearly $50 with tax and freight. Since I have a need for instant gratification, I purchased the '73 mount from Advance Auto for $4.88 including tax and it was on the shelf.

I drilled a 7/16" hole in the center of the transmission crossmember to accept the stud. The rest is identical to the original mount. Here are the photo's for anyone attempting this in the future.

post-55565-143139068496_thumb.jpg

post-55565-143139068505_thumb.jpg

post-55565-143139068514_thumb.jpg

post-55565-143139068522_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

All 2nd gen. Rivieras could use this mount by adding a centre hole to the transmission cross member too.

- great pics Ron !!

There was a recent thread on v8buick concerning two bolt 'after market' transmission mounts made of 'chineesium' - when tightening the mount bolts, one of the mounting nuts started to spin freely in the rubber portion of the mount

- not exactly what's needed.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)