1993 Oldsmobile cutless Siera Door wiring question

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

This car is my daily driver, and to give a brief background, I had the windows (electric) worked on a couple of years ago, but a while back, the windows would only work when the door was opened. They finally stopped working all together, so I took a look. I found that there were several wires that had been spliced into (extension wires) but were only twisted and taped. I found the main red wire that was broken, and installed a longer piece to this wire, soldering the ends and installing several layers of heat-shrink tubing. I then pushed both splices into the door and door frame, so there would be no splice at the point where the wire would be flexing. OK, now the windows work.

Here's my problem. There are also 2 smaller wires coming from the door frame going into the door. These 2 wires had been spliced the same hap-hazard way, and both of these wires are loose. They are both tan in color and I'm not sure which wire goes where. There is plenty of wire there so I can do the repair the same as the larger red wire. On my car, the seat-belts come out of the door, and when I connect either wire from the door to either wire coming out the door frame, I hear a solenoid energizing inside the door. I am thinking that this must be the seat-belt latch or something, because everything else works on the door. I didn't connect either of these wire yet because if the solenoid is being energized, then this might kill my battery. Of course, there is a possibility that when the door is closed, that maybe then the solenoid connection is opened up. Am I making any sense? I'd like to connect these 2 wires back up, but are they both the same, or does it matter which wire goes to where? Also, will the voltage be disconnected going to these solenoids when the door is closed?

Any ideas on this? I'd hate to be driving my car, get in an accident and not have the seat-belt lock if needed.

Thank you for any advice or opinions on this!

Guest bofusmosby

Anyone? I know that this car is not an antique, but since I have to drive it everyday, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my situation.

This is a common problem. The wires work harden and break from repeated door movement. Think of bending a paper clip until it breaks. The best way to make this repair is to replace the wires that pass through the rubber boot. If you remove the door trim panel and the kick panel you will have access to the door harness. You can replace the wires making the splices in the door and kick panel areas. Do one wire at a time using the same gauge wire. Be sure to solder the connections. If you don't replace all of the wires you can expect others to break at a later date. Most likely it will be raining and you won't be able to close your right rear window! Good luck .

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys. I soldered all the wiring and the sections where the repair was made, I pushed those ends into the door and door frame, so there is only new wire that will be in the hinge section. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the cars with the seat belts coming out of the doors. The solenoids have to have something to do with the seat belt locks.

To the best of my knowledge there are no ciicuits that go to the door for the seat belts.

My question is with the tan wires not connected, do your door locks work? I would bet not.

That said, I believe that the tan wire goes to the door lock relay and is used for locking and unlocking the doors. If the relay energizes when the wires are connected, you possibly have a bad door lock switch or a short in the wire. IMO

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you for the post Larry. All of the door locks work, as well as the window controls from the drivers door. Since the seat-belts come out the doors on this model, there has to be a locking mechanism inside the doors. I can hear the solenoid clicking every time I touch the wires together. Let me also add that EVERYTHING works on the drivers door, including the light on the side. The seat-belts is the only thing left, but I'd hate to connect these wires wrong and kill the battery.

The only thing I can think of is the lock for the seatbelt. It should have the saftey feature that activates a lock in your seatbelt harness any time your brake pedal is hit. i.e. if you have to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting an animal your seatbelt should not be able to move in or out. Just a guess.

Guest bofusmosby
The only thing I can think of is the lock for the seatbelt. It should have the saftey feature that activates a lock in your seatbelt harness any time your brake pedal is hit. i.e. if you have to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting an animal your seatbelt should not be able to move in or out. Just a guess.

YES! That is what I have thought all the time. The problem is, when the wires are connected (either way) the solenoid is engaged. I am afraid that his will kill the battery. It's possible that this will NOT be engaged when the door is closed, but I have no way of knowing this, unless I pull the door panel, and use a volt meter on the solenoid when the door is closed. I was hoping that I would not have to disassemble or remove the door panel.

YES! That is what I have thought all the time. The problem is, when the wires are connected (either way) the solenoid is engaged. I am afraid that his will kill the battery. It's possible that this will NOT be engaged when the door is closed, but I have no way of knowing this, unless I pull the door panel, and use a volt meter on the solenoid when the door is closed. I was hoping that I would not have to disassemble or remove the door panel.

One thing you could try to test our theory is connect the wires and try to pull the seatbelt out. If it locks up and stays locked then your problem might not be in the door. it might be a faulty stop light switch or bad connection at the switch. Just some suggestions.

Guest bofusmosby

I know that when I hear the solenoid engage, I can still pull out the seat-belts, but I haven't tried it while pressing the brake pedal. I need to try this!