side- mount mirrors

Barney Eaton

The June Bugle arrived today and I noticed the '36 coupe in the article has mirrors mounted on the top of the side mounts.

My '39 also has side mount mirrors and I have always wondered if they were a dealer option. Would they be accepted during 400 point judging as correct.

The only documented '39 that I have seen were the 1939 Royal cars built in Canada for the Queens visit, they had mirrors on the side mounts.

As best I recall, there were some type mounted on the metal covers. but tose must be dificult to find, yet a let of the Concours cars have them, so they must be asvailable. Easier to find are the aftermarket reproductions with straps, single for lower series cars and double straps for the bigger cars. A vendor at Hershey (not sure of his name) has these, but good ones are not cheap.

John

Guest outlaw car man

re: I have a set on my 33, that I assume are original, look that way. Kinda stupid things, mount on the trim on the two piece sidemount covers. Be honest, jiggle and don't work that well, BUT look way cool anyway.

The other 33 has a set of ( after some research) 1933 World's Fair sidemount mirrors. Basically "a one fits all" accessory, modeled after the Century of Progress theme. Made in New York.

OCM

post-54015-143139053628_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143139053635_thumb.jpg

When I first purchased the car, I thought they had cut the stainless trim but further investigation shows the mirror mount straddles the stainless trim. This limits the side movement of the mirror and the passanger side cannot be turned enough the the right to see behind you but they are cool. I suspect with a little searching, mirrors used on other cars will fit over the SS trim. Packards almost always had mirrors on the sidemounts and some years of Lincolns.