GPS Auto Security Systems

kbeach

Has anyone had experience with GPS auto security systems? I see that some available systems have a monthly fee which could get expensive for a car that is only driven a couple of months a year. I would be interested in one that has its own battery so it could be used for both 6 & 12 volt cars and maybe actived by the police or me.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are GPS "tracking" services which many fleet services use to track their delivery vehicles. FleetMatics is one. A hand-held Garmin would more likely fit the parameters listed, though. Only thing is that battery life is 4 hrs when unthethered. Key issue would be the 6V and 12V capabilities.

When I read the initial post, what crossed my mind was "LoJack", but I'm not sure if there's tracking capabilities unless it's activated. PLUS, there has to be a police unit which has a LoJack transmitter/receiver in it for that service to be worth the price, as I understood it several years ago (when it was being highly promoted over OnStar).

Regarding the "monthly fee", pretty hard to get around that for 24/7 monitoring via a service provider!!!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467