"Super Wildcat" (091) Cam

MartyWorld

Here's a copy of a page from a Riview in which Dennis Manner describes each cam. The Super Wildcat cam is the same as the '63 425 cam, and the late '63/ '64 cam. Interesting, eh? If you read the article, it sounds as if the original 59 - 61 cam was the "hottest." The next to the last sentence says it all.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks Ed, very interesting. That probably explains why the idle is so lumpy on my 65, particularly without the switch pitch working. I prefer to slip into neutral at the lights.

May also explain the fuel consumption :) 14.9 imperial MPG was the best I could get on my 2900 mile trip. I can get 17-18 mpg in the 401 66 Wildcat

Are you goint to Monterey Ed?

Tony,

I am, sir. Linda and I are flying to LA, then driving up the Pacific Coast Highway so we can do some touristy things while in Calif. We'll drink a toast to you and Barb when we get there.

What's not working on your switch pitch? You can never tell what you might get in an engine that's almost 50 years old. If I remember the car as you got it, it had quite a few hot rod decals on the windows. Do you know if the prev. owner perhaps installed a "hot" cam, or so he had hoped, and didn't know quite what he was doing? I don't see why the '65 shouldn't get the same mileage as the '66. What are the rear end ratios in each car?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Have a nice trip. We did the same in 2006. Very nice drive.

I have no idea if the previous owner changed the cam and he's too difficult to communicate with without email. I don't think he would remember anyway judging by some other questions I did ask on the phone.

I'm going to have my carby guy see if he can lean the jets maybe and tune it for economy.

Rear ratio is 3.07 which is good.

The switch pitch is suffering from a bad micro switch but I have another one and will swap it out.

Have a great meet and regards to Linda