1962-1964 Olds Emblem

Guest stude62

Guest stude62

I own a 1962 Olds Super 88 Celebrity sedan in original condition with 25,000 miles.

My question is this, why did the emblem design used on 1962-64 Oldsmobile's only last three model years? The emblem that followed - the rectangular rocket - seemed to be around for a long, long time.

My other question is - where is the best place to go hunting for the 62-64 emblem. The plastic red field behind the chromed casting tends to fade.

Well- put in simplest terms, back then it was expected that cars would look different every year, and that included trim details.

The 62-64 style had its genesis in the 1957 hood and trunk trim and was meant to be viewed as a stylized rocket heading straight for you. 58-61 went back to versions of the original Olds shield crest. 62-64 reverted to the 1957 style.

It's a neat emblem, but most people can't figure out what it represents.

If you can get the emblem off the car, you can try to remove the plastic lens from the chrome emblem (it's put on with those heinous mushroom-head rivets) and repaint it from the back side. Clean off all the old paint, then spray first with red, then an overcoat of dull silver.

Other than that it will be find an NOS or excellent used.

Just curious- where is this emblem located on the car? My body parts books only show an emblem like this on Ninety Eight front fenders.

Guest stude62

The emblem is used on the left side of the grille. On the rear the final version of the Oldmobile world appears in a diamond shaped panel.

There are, if I chose to "customize" the car, two stylized versions of the logo (thrust forward) on either one of the sail panels of the 4-dr Holiday Hardtop. I have those and they came (loose) with the car when I bought it. But then I would have to drill holes, and undo the headliner, etc., and that not something I would be keen to do unless I were stripping out the interior and doing a full body repaint.

Now on where to find the NOS...