01 Regal AC compressor

Guest Redwind89

Guest Redwind89

So I'm trying to look everywhere and still have found an answer yet for, "Does anyone know if there is a belt that I could use on my 2001 Regal LS so I could cut out the AC compressor?" The bearing is going bad to the point that the only way it doesn't make noise is it needs to be on. Also another question if anyone knows is, "Can I just have the bearing replaced, or do I need to just do the whole compressor?" Thank you everyone. I have been looking on the RegalGS Forum, but haven't found any answer yet cause I'm no longer a member there and I figured I would just ask here first, before re-joining there.

Guest marchi1

There is a bypass pulley you would have to install in order to remove the A/C compressor from the system, you unfortunately cannot just put a different belt on it due to the routing of the system.

Typically is is easier to buy a new compressor than to try and rebuild these. Actually I have never heard of anyone rebuilding them.....

Guest Redwind89

The A/c is still working great(as of now). My only problem is I need to leave it on at all times or it sounds like a screaming harpy and it drives me nuts.

The bearing can probably be changed.

The compressor may need to be removed to do the job.

If it is like one I did, one month after changing the bearing the compressor self-destructed.

The bearing was nearly as expensive as a rebuilt compressor.

I don't have the car anymore but I still have a spare bearing.

Willie

Guest Redwind89

I looked around a bearing kit is around 25 dollars and new compressors are anywhere from 200-350 dollars. I will not go the route of rebuilt compressor after all the trouble my father had with them on the 69 GS.