Third Brake Light Removal

Guest KentWood

Guest KentWood

I would like to remove the third brake light on my 1990.

Are there any instructions?

Anyone know how, been there, done that ?

( I hope this is legal because I think it looks dorky. )

Guest My TC Toy

Below the panel at each end of the light, behind the rubber gasket for the tonneau cover you will find two screws. Remove them and the light is free.

Guest KentWood

I found this information on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so I gusee my plan to simply remove the third brake light from my TC is not viable.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better looking low profile replacement ?

Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)

In North America since 1986, in Australia and New Zealand since 1990, and in Europe since 1998, a central brake lamp, mounted higher than the vehicle's left and right brake lamps and called a "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)", is also required.

The CHMSL is also sometimes referred to as the "centre brake lamp", the "third brake light", the "eye-level brake lamp", the "safety brake lamp", or the "high-level brake lamp".

The CHMSL may produce light by a single central filament bulb, a row or cluster of filament bulbs or LEDs, or a strip of Neon tube.

The CHMSL is intended to provide a deceleration warning to following drivers whose view of the vehicle's left and right stop lamps is blocked by interceding vehicles.

It also helps to disambiguate brake vs. turn signal messages in North America, where red rear turn signals identical in appearance to stop lamps are permitted, and also can provide a redundant stop light signal in the event of a stop lamp malfunction.

I found this information on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so I gusee my plan to simply remove the third brake light from my TC is not viable.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better looking low profile replacement ?

Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)

In North America since 1986, in Australia and New Zealand since 1990, and in Europe since 1998, a central brake lamp, mounted higher than the vehicle's left and right brake lamps and called a "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)", is also required.

The CHMSL is also sometimes referred to as the "centre brake lamp", the "third brake light", the "eye-level brake lamp", the "safety brake lamp", or the "high-level brake lamp".

The CHMSL may produce light by a single central filament bulb, a row or cluster of filament bulbs or LEDs, or a strip of Neon tube.

The CHMSL is intended to provide a deceleration warning to following drivers whose view of the vehicle's left and right stop lamps is blocked by interceding vehicles.

It also helps to disambiguate brake vs. turn signal messages in North America, where red rear turn signals identical in appearance to stop lamps are permitted, and also can provide a redundant stop light signal in the event of a stop lamp malfunction.

This is really very helpful information for everyone to know in this entire Antique Automobile Club. Try sending this directly to the site administrator.