1935 50-series carb. float needed

Pete Phillips

This 1935 Buick 50-series has been in my shop for almost two years and I still cannot get it to run properly. Now, the engine is back together but the carburetor floods terribly. Removed the float and it appears to be a replacement and is incorrectly shaped for the Marvel carburetor--rubs side of bowl, gets stuck, etc. It does not resemble the shape of the float in the photo in the 1935 shop manual. I just spent $220 and three weeks waiting for a carb. kit and new float from The Carburetor Shop and it is the same shape and type of float that is giving me problems--does not resemble the shape of the float in the shop manual photo. After spending nearly two years on this car, I am beginning to see why some people give up on the original drive train and make street rods out of them--perish the thought!

Okay gang, does anyone have a Marvel model 65-144 carburetor for a 1935 50-series engine? I don't have to buy one, I mainly need the float out of one so I can make the correct shape, but have to have something to go by, and I will return it when done.

And please spare me from the B.S. scam artists in England who "have the part I am looking for".

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Pete - the float we would have sent in the kit is the identical shape to the original Marvel float FOR A SPECIFIC CARBURETOR. Marvel parts are VERY carburetor specific.

But, you paid us money for a kit WITH FLOAT, which I want you to have. Send us the old float and the number STAMPED (not raised) on the underside of the bowl. The stamped number should be in the format 10-nnn with nnn being some number between 501 and 2000. The 65-144 is a casting number for a blank casting that can be machined a number of ways; and is totally worthless in attempting to identify either the carburetor or the correct float. I will personally make you a float using your old float as a sample. I have new old stock originals that we use for samples, but obviously, something is amiss between what you ordered and what you received.

And do not pay any attention to pictures in the shop manual (at least for Marvel carburetors).

Sorry you are having difficulty with a part from our shop.

One other thing comes to mind. You do not specify the fuel delivery system you are using. You CANNOT use a electric pump with a Marvel carburetor UNLESS you buy one of the Holley racing fuel regulators to cut the pressure. The 29.95 FLAPS dial type regulator just won't cut it.

If you have other questions concerning this matter, call me personally at 573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.