1941 56C no oilfilter?

Guest 1941Buick56C

Guest 1941Buick56C

My '41 Buick 56C does not have an oil filter canister/assembly. I don't assume this was factory original? Would you have any leads on where to find an oil filter housing and other parts needed to hook one up?

Thanks,

Jan

jAN,

Post a "want to buy" on the buy/sell forum.

It will be a bypass filter can that mounts to the tappet cover just ahead of the distributor, and filters are very available @ NAPA.

Mike in Colorado

Guest macmic87

according to the book "restoration facts" for 1941 buicks, it was advised to buick dealers that the oil filter be removed due to oil filter failure. this was the fix back in 1941.

Guest 1941Buick56C

Fascinating! Who would have thought that they would remove the filter. Thanks for the information. Did this also come with the guidance to perform more frequent oil changes?

Compliments on the beautiful Sedanette. Is the color titan maroon?

Best,

Jan

Edited by 1941Buick56C (see edit history)

The 1942 Service Bulletins cover the removal and rerouting of the oil lines. There was a problem getting suitable oil filter material due to wartime needs that would not fall apart in service. Substitutes were apparently not working well so Buick advised the dealers to remove the filter canisters.

Jan,

Can you remember back to when J.C. Whitney sold aftermarket oil filter add on systems that used a roll of toilet paper as the filter ?

If it were me, I'd find a can and plumbing and use the NAPA insert that is readilly available. Especially if yours is a driver.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado