Electronic Ignition

Guest John Chapman

Guest John Chapman

Gie,<P>1. A great solution to fitting an electronic ignition to the '65 Buick is the Pertronix ignition. The kit and a new coil are about $100. A new Pertronix plug wire set is about another $50. Be sure to get the latest model, which uses an optical trigger instead of the older Hall effect magnetic pickup trigger. Recent forum discussions (and include links to vendor sites):<BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000052.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000052.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000348.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000348.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000367.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000367.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000398.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000398.html</A> <P>2. Platinum Cash Saver Additive? In my opinion, the best way to save cash with these things is to put it back in you pocket! With the exception of lead additives and some good injector cleaners, these products are just a scam.<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

One more bit of snake oil that does seem to help some, I've put some "Trans-X" tranny fluid additive in my '60 and it does seem to help with the leaking of fluid through the seals. After I drive it it a few times it takes a month or so for the seals to begin significantly leaking, whereas is was showing drips after only a week or so before.<P>Also, with regard to electronic ignitons, there's one thing that I think is overlooked with them--It is fun to play with your points! I kept my old points in my car (admittedly not exactly a track monster) on purpose, not just to save the $100. I know I'll get optimum performance indefinately if I convert over to EI, but where's the fun in that? I didn't buy a 40 year old Buick because I wanted a new car! <P>The old points system functions just fine in an occasional driver/show car. If it's a daily driver or you're going to be running quarter miles in it, then definately take the plunge.

I have heard people say that it is wise to have an electronic ignition fixed in Buick Electra of 1965. What do you think?<BR>A Delco? <P>Anybody heard of a product called 'cash saver', a platinum substance that is added to the engine and generates fuel economy?<P>thanx

Guest John Chapman

Dave's House:<P>No dishwasher -- likes to wash 'em by hand...and the grease from adjusting the points comes off nicely in dishwater...<P><BR>No self defrosting refrigerator -- it's <I>fun</I> to chip ice... and besides, it still keeps the Iron City cold...<P><BR>Wringer washer... wonder if it's a gas Maytag...?<P><BR>Clothesline... these are wonderful in the PA winters... LOL<P><BR>Black and white TV... no cable, no Antenna Master...there hasn't been a decent color show since Bonanza!<P><BR>Bias ply tires... return to the wild and wonderful days of expansion joint tracking and flat spots (they <I>are</I> rayon, of course?)<P><BR>Coal furnace and coal chute to the basement... gas furnaces have no character...<P><BR>Dave... just for fun, LOL. I like tinkering with my old Buick, too... well, most of the time, anyway. Points just don't do it for me, tho....<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P><BR>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR> jmchapman@aol.com <p>[This message has been edited by John Chapman (edited 08-29-2000).]

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif <P>John, I <B> do </B> have a clothesline!! (I'm a former professional environmentalist, remember!) Also, you'd be very suprised, I have a friend in the PA-DEQ (state EPA) who just installed a coal furnace and chute in a new house. In the northeast PA coal country they're fairly common!<P>But you forgot the most telling sign of all...I have a <B> TRIUMPH </B>. Your medical insurance will not cover you for mental ailments if owning a British car is a pre-existing condition! grin.gif<P>P.S. The Triumph runs on Iron City, that is when my skunk has a bladder infection and can't perform!<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 08-29-2000).]

Yeah, it isn't quite a CARB situation in the wild Northeast of PA. The coal is delivered by chute into an elevated bay, which feeds the furnace on demand (when the thermostat engages) via a screw conveyor. As I recall there is a smoke control device on the stack, but how effective it is I don't know.<P>The Triumph is a 1970 TR6, which really doesn't ride much better than the '57 no matter what the ads said back then. So far Lord Lucas has been fairly kind to me, but I rarely drive the car. It's a running restoration projcet, I have about twice what I paid for the car in parts (5 shelving units!) stored for the restoration. As soon as my youngest is in first grade and I get <I> some </I> time back to myself---BINGO!<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 08-30-2000).]

Guest John Chapman

Dave,<P>Yanno, out there somewhere is an outfit making Buick 215-TR adapter kits, I think. Now that'd be interesting....<P>JMC

Guest John Chapman

Dave,<P>What year/model of TR? My college roomie had a '57 -3. Besides making our kidneys bleed and starting a good case of piles, the old TR provided numerous electrical (mis)adventures courtesy of Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness....<P>Coal chutes in new houses... wow! The CARB would never stand for that! Probably make you crush the house (with the furniture and appliances in it)! But you might have to live in CA to understand that one...<P>Cheers,<BR>John

Why would anyone put a V6 in a TR? The origional motor is almost as fast, and with Britist spec fuel injection you can get these things above 120 mph (how fast do <B> you </B> want to go on trunions???). Also there's nothing quite like the growl of a British 6. <P>And yes, there is at least one of these things out there with a small block Chevy in it! Is there anything out there that Chevy people <B> can't </B> <I> "improve" </I> rolleyes.gif with one of their blasted engines?<P>It amazes me that people spend so much energy doing engine transplants on Healys, Triumphs and Jaguars. The engine often was the best part of these packages to begin with!

Guest John Chapman

<I>Pssst</I>! Dave! The 215 is a <I>Buick</I> designed aluminum V-8...and MG used it in the MGC...an' ya can still get one in a Rover...<P>120 on trunions? No problem-o... but then I used to land 30 ton airplanes on a flight deck at night, so I have an inherent judgement problem to begin with.<P>Can't argue the part about the sound of the big sixes.<P>Can't argue the part of the engines in the Jags etc. being the best part. It's economics, I think. In SoCal, you can pick up a really solid XJ8 for under $8K, less if it needs a motor. That motor rebuild will cost $6-8K, and possibly more. A small block V8 refit is a couple of grand and it keeps the car going when otherwise, it would have likely been scrapped. There are a couple running around San Diego with the middle of the pile GM crate motors in them. They're nicely done, very slick and FAST. I know the purists gag, but I'm happy to see the old Jags still on the road. And it's a hoot to see the expressions on the Moostang drivers faces when they're waxed by a XJ whathe<B><I>hell</I></B>wasthatthing<I>anyway</I>!<P>Ah, well, we can't all afford Cobras (that was an AC Bristol, with a I6 in it before Mr. Shelby came along with the Ford 260/289/427) so there is some precedent -- small car, big motor, goes like a raped ape. Hehe, there's that judgement thing again... lotta power GOOD, more power BETTER, too much power, JUST ABOUT RIGHT!<P>JMC<P><p>[This message has been edited by John Chapman (edited 08-31-2000).]

Ooops! blush.gif<P>By the way, the AC Bristol was an AC Ace first. The Bristol engine was already a swap!<P>XJ8 swap outs are OK, but I've seen several XKEs and 2 XKE V12's swapped out! If the cars worth $60K with the right motor in it, don't make a Chevy out of it! My favorite t-shirt says: "Triumph, life's too short to be driving Chevy's". I wish I had a dozen of 'em! smile.gif

Guest John Chapman

Dozen Triumphs or a dozen T-shrits? smile.gif<P>I've seen one XK E-type with a 350 transplant... it was nicely done, but again economics. The car was really rough and had enough rust/bondo/collision damage that it'd never make it to the $20K mark, let alone one of those impossibly perfect $60K jobs.<P>JMC

Dave--alright on the clothesline!!!!--I live in PA and have a clothesline too. In fact I have a woodstove but I was going to upgrade to a coal furnance(probably next year) because my back isnt what it used to be and I should keep up with the "new technology".I generally burn about 7 cords of wood during the winter months, and what I save on fuel I put back into my Buick. Sorry for getting off the subject a little, but I couldnt resist. I bought the Pertronix and installed the wires and coil, but have yet to put the unit in the distributor. I bought a new set of points for my 72 GS when I redid the motor and when they die or fail then I will do the conversion. Or maybe sooner, depending on how cold it gets in my garage this winter.

Naw, then someone will want an electric dryer forum, etc,etc. Next thing you know people will be taking their Buicks to automatic car washes!!!! If you're ever in the Harrisburg area, give me a shout and I will show you my woodstoves. Take care.<BR>

• 2 weeks later...

The point systems were fine as long as they were not subject to shaft bushing wear and the rubbing block is not worn. If you can't set the gap to be within dwell degree specs, it might be worth considering the electronic setup.<P>If you keep the points, remember to get some point grease (remember that?) to put on the rubbing interface of the point rubbing block and the contact cam it rubs on. The last points I bought did not have the little vial of grease, but it can still be had from Mallory (last I bought) and I believe it is still in the GM Standard Parts catalog (but might require multi-tube minimum order quantities -- life time supply). <P>Without the necessary lubricant, the rubbing block on the points will wear prematurely and require readjustment too soon. If there's an oil cup sticking out of the side of the distributor housing, a few drops of oil might also be in order.<P>Much of the joy of having a finely tuned vehicle have been taken away from us by electronics over the years. Especially if you took pride in your job of doing the tuning just "so-so" on your pride and joy. One piece of electronics leads to another and another, plus a cell phone with a fully charged battery.<P>Enjoy!