Side view mirrors

Steve9

Hi Guys, Does anyone have a solution for my mirror problem? The clamp-ons I currently own are trashing my new paint because the jaws are too wide, and when you close the doors, you can watch the carnage unfold. The too wide set-up is pinched by the closing door!:eek: By the way, the car is a 36 sedan. Thanks, Steve.

Can you put a "filler strip" (like a shim) in the clamp to move it to the outside of the door more? Maybe shave down the clamping screws a bit?

(Without photos it is kind of hard to imagine how your problem is unfolding! I am just guessing here. :o )

If the curved top of the clamp is rubbing in the opening you may be out of luck without adjusting the full position of the door. Ick! :eek:

Once the mirrors are adjusted, be sure to put some clear fingernail polish or such (your wife can help :rolleyes: ) on the damaged paint until it can be properly touched up.

Thanks for the insight D2. I will give that a shot. The other solution I found was drilling holes in the door!? :eek:for new mirrors. These mirrors are nice but I'm not keen on modification by drill at this point!

Oooo NO. You should not have to drill holes!

Just look at it critically, see where stuff is encroaching where it doesn't belong, calculate how to make it move in the other direction and try that solution. No vehicle modifications should be necessary for mirrors!

I HATE clamp-on mirrors. I would look for some door hinge style mirrors (that is what I use on my '31 coupe to save the door paint). A clamp-on mirror is usually in your line of vision. Trucks use hinge mirrors. Here are a few examples of 1936s with hinge mirrors found when I Googled "1936 Dodge photo"......and my '31 mirror.

post-37352-14313896515_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138965156_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138965158_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313896516_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)