Trans fluid 53 coronet

Guest Impulse138

Guest Impulse138

53 dodge coronet and I just received my rear trans seal. It leaked all the oil out when I put in SAE 10 oil as the manual calls for so I purchased a new seal and I am going to install it tonight or tomorrow. It has the fluid coupling with 3 speed on the the tree. Not the gyromatic transmission. Is there a different oil I should use or stick with the SAE 10 I got from Tractor Supply Co? I've just been going by the manual but obviously things have advanced since 53. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Before you start, check one thing. If memory serves, the fluid drive units did not have a common oil supply with the 3 speed gearbox. The fluid drive unit would use the 10W oil, but the 3 speed gearbox may need 90W. The clutch mechanism fits between the fluid drive unit and the gearbox.

Guest Impulse138

I just checked the manual again it calls for 10w in the standard transmission. I could be missing something but I know when I drained it out it smelled like gear lube. I asked te previous owner and he never changed it so I'm not sure who did prior to me. You probably have a lot more knowledge with this than me so I will keep looking. It will still be a few days before I can get under there and install the seal.

I went back and checked my service manual. It does say to use 10 w oil. However, I noticed that for the overdrive unit, which my car has, in one place they recommend 80W gear oil, but in another, they say 10W. It is possible, that the manual is wrong. Interestingly, my service manual mentions nothing about fluid drive. It is only mentioned in the owners manual.

I did find an older reference from 1940 for the transmission, which recommends 'gear lube', and it is the same lube that goes in the steering box.

As far as I know, those gearboxes were the same from 1940-54. I think the only differences were in the tailshafts and input gears.

All I can suggest at this point; once you change the seal, put in the 10W oil. If it still leaks, drain it and go with a 90W gear oil.

Or, if someone has a service manual a few years older, see what the lube recommendation is there.

Use 80-90W gear oil in the MoPar R1O OD transmission. Oil flows between the front and rear cases!

I have this same transmission in a couple of my old Pymouths. They are a good transmission when kept full of oil especially in the OD unit!