Disc brake Hubs question and a sway bar tooo ?

Guest asmines

Guest asmines

Is there a snowballs chance that my 67 front drum brake hubs are compatible with my new 71-76 rotors or that the 71-76 hubs are compatible with my 67 spindles. I am doing a scarebird conversion and I bought some cool rotors but they come without hubs.

Oh yeah and about the sway bar. I love the ride of my 67 BUT.....She really loves to float at highway speed any body had any luck improving this handling issue using after market sway bars or is there a better way. See ya all at the ROAA Meet In Monterey so you can inspect my work.

post-78777-143138959735_thumb.jpg

post-78777-143138959752_thumb.jpg

Are you sure you bought 71-76 Riviera rotors then? Those should be an integrated hub/rotor design. If you do have the correct ones and I'm missunderstanding you, they use the same SET5/SET3 bearing combo as the 63-70 Rivieras did. Only difference is the 63 and 64 guys have a larger hub than the later GM hub.

The sway bars will not help the floating feeling as they are really to tune roll stiffness. To fix the float you'd need stiffer shocks and maybe springs. I'm no handling expert, especially on the 2nd gen cars, but I'd say start with stiffer shocks and see if that helps.

This page from the Scarebird website states that 71 - 76 rotors should work on a '65 Riviera spindel. Scarebird states that 61 - 64 takes one part numbered bracket and 65 - 70 takes a different part numbered bracket. As was mention previously, the only thing you'll use from your '64 will be the spindle. The rotor will include your bearings, lug nuts, etc. - everything the orginal hub included. You're exchanging complete assemblies and bolting them to the Scarebird bracket.

Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC Read #4.

This page of their website says to use 95 - 99 1/2 ton rotors and 71 - 76 Seville calipers on a 61 - 64 Buick. The 8 Sept, 2005 revision A instructions I got with my brackets says to use 71 - 76 Riviera rotors, calipers, pads, and bolts; the recommendatiof for hoses in the 2005 instructions suggests the use of 76 - 87 "Chevette" hoses. :eek: Currently they're recommending '77 Riviera hoses. (They change recommendations quite often with no explanation.) Mount up you've got and see what you have. My instruction sheet also has part numbers for all of the parts from NAPA, Wagne, and Raybestos. I tried scanning the instruction sheet for you but ran into a compatibility issue between my scanner and computer. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll see if I can send you the instructions that way.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest asmines

Thanks you guys. I think I have it figured out. The original picture I looked at showed the rotor without a hub but then I looked at another spec picture and it shows the hub like you mention (integrated) so I'm thinking that's what it'll be I'm also thinking that if scarebird says to use the caddy rotor it will go on my stock spindle I hope I'm right. As far as the hoses go I am having them made to fit. They will be 15 inches end to end with the appropriate fittings installed. I have the scarebird instruction sheet with the part #s but thanks for the offer.

Thanks you guys. I think I have it figured out. The original picture I looked at showed the rotor without a hub but then I looked at another spec picture and it shows the hub like you mention (integrated) so I'm thinking that's what it'll be I'm also thinking that if scarebird says to use the caddy rotor it will go on my stock spindle I hope I'm right. As far as the hoses go I am having them made to fit. They will be 15 inches end to end with the appropriate fittings installed. I have the scarebird instruction sheet with the part #s but thanks for the offer.

Read the link I sent to you again. It says that they recommend 95 -99 GM 1/2 ton ROTORS and Seville CALIPERS. If you're sure that you want to use the Scarebird brackets, buy them. When you get them, look at the instruction sheet and see what they are currently recommending. The instruction sheet will give you part numbers if you want to go with new stuff, or you can try to find it used.

Ed

Guest asmines

I have a couple different instruction sheets from scarebird attached is the one they emailed me before I bought the rotors its the same one that was in the box with my brackets. I like the caddy rotors more because they are a little bigger and my wheels are 17's are you gonna be at monterey I plan on taking the car there with the new setup.

post-78777-143138961822_thumb.jpg

I have a couple different instruction sheets from scarebird attached is the one they emailed me before I bought the rotors its the same one that was in the box with my brackets. I like the caddy rotors more because they are a little bigger and my wheels are 17's are you gonna be at monterey I plan on taking the car there with the new setup.
The brackets are designed for a specific set of rotors and calipers. Unless you're willing to do what I am, which is make your own brackets for your own combo of parts, you need to follow the instructions for the set of brackets you have or it probably won't work.

The Chevy C1500 rotors are 11.61x1.29in

12066025.jpg

The 71-76 Riviera rotors are 11.85x1.28in (also shared with 73-87 C1500 trucks)

12066000.jpg

I don't know what Caddy rotors you're talking about but if they don't match the 71-76 Riviera rotors, the brackets aren't going to let you mount the calipers correctly.

*Image Credit, Centric via Rockauto.com

Guest asmines

sorry thanks for all your concern and feedback my instructions call for the 71-76 rivvy rotors which is what I purchased. I misspoke in my earlier post where I mentioned caddy I ment riv. Thank you again for watching out for me.