Cooling problems

Guest JouniK

Guest JouniK

I have major problems with my riviera cooling system. When I got the car, I drove only from trailer to my garage (winter). A few weeks ago I was adding water to the radiator, I found one freeze plug that had come off (!) So I replaced it, and now after driving the car a few times (very short distance, 5min) there are more problems :eek:

During the first run the windshield got foggy from the inside, so the heater core is busted. I disconnect the hoses and bypass the heater core. Then the second run, everything seems ok, until I open the hood - water leaking from somewhere. The thermostat cover gasket is leaking. I fix that and run the engine for a few minutes, no leaks.

So today I tought was the big day, first run on the highway, but no!!! After a few hudred yards (and some heavy acceleration :P) I hear a little noise and check the mirror: A huge coolant leak. So I return back to the garage and I already guessed what happened: Another freeze plug came off.

So something creates a high pressure in the cooling system.

I replaced the freeze plug and started the car again. At first, nothing, then, when the thermostat opens, some water spills from the radator and after revving the engine water bursts from the radiator (no cap).

With the cap on there´s a lot of pressure in the system after the engine has ran only a shot time 1 min or so. And revving the engine makes it worse.

I don´t know much about the history of this car, it has a new radiator and the water (for now) in the cooling system is clean, no oil, only some minor rust. The thermostat is new as seems to be the radiator cap (it does´t mean they work, I know :D)

So the worst case scenario is that the head(s) or block are cracked. A head gasket failure is one possibility.

But could there be something else I can check before I have to open the engine? Or can I check if the head gasket is failing or the block/head has cracked in my garage?

BTW the engine oil is clean, no foam, not white.

I need to move my stuff to another garage before the and of the month, so I´m reluctant to open the engine right away. I´d like to drive the car the few miles from the old garage to the new. Any advice how to accomplish that trip?

Thanks guys!!

J

Edited by JouniK (see edit history)

I would start out assuming it is a bad head gasket. Do a leak down test on each cylinder to see if you can figure out right or left side.

When you have that head off, inspect it carefully for cracks. Same with block.

Good luck. I hope that's all it is.

Guest JouniK

Ok, thanks Jim. I have been told that the nailhead blocks and heads are not prone to crack that easily. Is there some specific thing that causes them to crack? Whay parts of the block/heads are most common to crack?

I just want to prepare myself for the worst. There are not too many 401 blocks for sale here in Finland, and shipping one from the states costs 1 sb chevy+th700 :D:D:D

But I´ll check the compression first and go from there...

Jouni

Edited by JouniK (see edit history)

Nothing in particular causes these heads to crack; perhaps overheating. Someone trying to "upgrade" the engine by installing hardened seats in the heads (not needed) can cut into the cooling jacket and ruin the head.

Other than that, I suspect a bad head gasket.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JouniK

Ok, I took off the heads. Both of the head gaskets were rusted through. A few piston crowns were clean, so I hope the head gaskets were the problem.

I should have pressure tested the cylinders first..

Well, we´ll see in a few days :D

J

Guest JouniK
Hi Jounik,

just in case you would need it (hope that not...), I have complete and running 401 from 66 nailhead for sale. Poland is closer than US, shipping should not be so painful...

Thanks George, good to know ;)

Do You have the transmission too?

J

Guest JouniK

Ok. I´ll hope I wont need them :D:D

I got the engine almost ready today, only missing the carb, exhaust manifolds, power steering pump and some little stuff. I´ll try to finish it tomorrow.

J

Guest JouniK

Problem solved!!! The engine seems to work just great. Only drove it a couple of miles, but I think its ok.

Some pics:

IMG_2536.jpg

The engine bay, like a can of worms.. (yes I dont like the air cleaner either)

I painted the engine parts gold. Not the original color but I´m going to hot rod the car a little:D

IMG_2647.jpg

Front, with 1958 Caddy grille, Chrysler bezels and BMW lights :eek:

IMG_2649.jpg

And the problem (not the worst one):

Almost every other water channel block(?) was rusted through

IMG_2653.jpg

Thanks for Your help!!!

J