1949 Buick Roadmaster Series 70 Trans Issues

Guest Fozgood

Guest Fozgood

Trans was running fine. Now when engine is hot I can't shift into reverse without the whole car starts to jump. After car cools I can put it in reverse, but not when it is hot. No sounds, no grinding, no slipping, ......

Any ideas before I start taking things apart that I don't have to?

Thanks,

Brian

Make sure the transmission fluid is not overheating and causing this problem, I thinking Dynaflow.

A few years ago a friend asked me what would cause transmission fluid to blow out the fill pipe and cover his engine. Prior to that they had addressed a cooling problem with a re-cored radiator, new water pump, belts, and hoses. In the end his problem all along was dragging brakes.

Bernie

Guest shadetree77
can't shift into reverse without the whole car starts to jump.

My '52 with Dynaflow started doing that very same thing. If I didn't hold the shifter down while in reverse, it would jump back and forth between Low and Reverse rocking the car the whole time! Willie told me to check the mounts and the thrust pad and I'm 99% sure that is the problem. Definitely start with those.

Guest Fozgood

Thanks guys, will check mounts and thrust pad this weekend. Water pump is out and being replaced. Thanks for your help, will let you kow what I find.