ANFSCD

padgett

Since this is a technical group, does anyone know what happens to a 3" schedule 40 type 1 ASTM D2665 PVC drain pipe at 200-220F (is only rated to 140F).

Does it melt, soften, outgas toxic fumes ? Am thinking about using to test a CAI design (no pressure, just a duct) since cheap but underhood "hot soak" can get quite hot.

Guest Mc_Reatta

PVC starts to soften at 185 deg F which increases up to its melting point of 413 deg F.

Shouldn't outgas dangerous chemicals until heated above melting point.

Here's a link to some information about its use as vent pipe for flues and boilers. Has been done but not recommended above 140 for PVC and 210 for CPVC.

Not a good long term solution, but certainly doable for a short term.

Heating Help

I have used it for exactly that purpose without ill effects, although near the T/B over the exhaust, I generally added foil insulation. The air cleaner side of the engine compartment is probably the coolest area. 3" pvc (not ABS) and Fernco couplings makes experimenting easy.

Thank you. In this case the TB is at the right side rear (by the firewall) and the air cleaner is on the left front which makes for an interesting "hose". (on 18" tiles). With this I have seen over 160F at the IAT (OBD-II is nice) about 10 minutes after putting in garage when fully warmed up.

post-31022-143138950764_thumb.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Looks like someone was off their meds sitting in front of AutoCAD again. :P

What a nightmare :eek:

Took a 6" piece of 3" schedule 40 and put in oven. At 180 it was feeling a bit springy but even at 200 was holding it's shape NP. Think it will work. Now just need to mate the ends. I was seeing over 120F IAT on the road at 80F and feel that is a bit high.

Have also had to build my own 180F thermostat since no-one makes one - yet & Pentastar thermostat is built into water neck - modified one of my 44 mm Superstats to fit.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Suggest you wrap the hotter spots with some foil insulation of some sort. Check in the AC ducting and hot water heating sections of your hardware store and see what might work best. There are some tape products that should do well as well as other flue pipe etc that might be used around the PVC to help ward off some heat.

You should be able to come up with all kinds of ideas if you wander around a bit.