My `64 won`t start

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

So, I have full power at the battery,power at the coil,alternator and the starter. I have bench tested the starter and it works . How do I test the ignition switch? Do I pull the pigtail off the back of the switch and use some sort of a jumper?

Rex:confused:

So I assume your problem is the Riv is not cranking when you turn the key? Check for voltage at the solenoid wire when the key is in the "start" position (probably would have done this before removing the starter). If there is no voltage at the starter have someone wiggle the shifter while turning the key to the start position (the trans is in the park or neutral position, right?). If you have no luck examine the pigtail at the back of the ignition switch-the wires are probably burned/discolored from heat. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Guest slacker1965

I am assuming that it is not turning over? or is it turning over & not firing?

if it is the former, it could be the starter solenoid......if it is still jacked up, see if you are getting 12v to the start side of the solenoid....you can arc it to the battery cable if you don't have help.... I don't have a starter in my hand to tell you which post is the solenoid & which goes to the coil.....

if it turns but doesn't fire then we need to do other things......

Bet you a buck it's the neutral starter switch. You will need to pull the console to check...but probably worth it. My guess is that the contacts will have gunk on them and that is the cause. Get in there with a q tip and some alcohol...you'll be amazed how much lint and assorted junk gathers in there. PRL

Before you pull the console, try unscrewing the knob on the shifter and removing just the shift lever cover. You should be able to access the neutral safety switch from there. You'll see two terminals when you're in there. One for the neutral safery switch and one for the back up light switch. If I remember correctly, the neutral safety switch has a purple wire running into the terminal as well as the black ground wire.

Ed