Dodge Man was on a "mission from God"

Dodgy6

Interesting:

"George Towns was a wireless expert who helped Flynn carry out his first radio tests in the outback in 1925. The Dodge automobile was bought on 19 May 1925 in Adelaide and modified to Flynn's specifications, so that a pulley could be attached to the rear wheel to generate power for radio transmission"

post-84687-143138938742_thumb.jpg

Cutt'n 'n' Paste'n....

"Flynn got right into radio, and soon became a proficient amateur himself. In mid-1925, he stashed his old Dodge buckboard with wireless gear, as shown in Figure 1, and headed north from Adelaide with a retired army officer named George Towns. For their 500-mile exploratory jaunt, they carried a 100-watt transmitter and a demountable tube-section aerial mast. Also aboard the Dodge was a 600-volt generator, driven off a pulley specially mounted on the rear wheel."

"Figure 1. John Flynn (right) and George Towns leave Adelaide in the laden Dodge buckboard, June 1925. Note the pulley built into the rear wheel hub to drive Traeger's generator."

post-84687-143138939955_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

One of my favourite tv programs from my youth was the 'Flying Doctor'. I don't think I ever missed an episode. I seem to remember the aircraft was a twin engined Beechcraft Bonanza. I think it was the reason we Canadians got the 'joke' when the boomerang brought down the flying doctor in the song 'My boomerang won't come back'. I think the show may have been one of the reasons I got my pilot's licence and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and flew Search and Rescue much as the Flying Doctor had done. Brings back a lot of memories.