Identification plate

stakeside

I have a 28 Dodge Bros 'E' series truck and found the ID plate for that model, under the body on the drivers side, attached to the wood frame. It has been exposed to the weather in that location and is in poor condition. I can read 120' WHEELBASE, the frame # S 114139, and a model DE.

Does the DE refer to the body style or model series 'E'?

What other information would be on this plate?

Any information on this ID plates would be appreicated. There is no other ID on the body. No ID on the firewall of the cowl.

I have referred to this ID plate as the "TOEPLATE". Is that correct?

post-71470-143138931624_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143138931629_thumb.jpg

The E would be the series, at least this is the pattern I have noticed looking thru literature. I dont know what the D stood for at this point and would only be guessing. ......Dodge E-series??

Toe plate is the metal tag attached to the toe-board ( pass side board closest to the firewall) This plate may be the toe-plate, could someone have moved it? As far as I know there are no other identifying # on the trucks except the G.B serial # in many cases, the D.B serial #s and the toe-plate

How was the toe-plate attached, do you have a pict. before its removal?

I have had this truck for over 30 years and my documentation was not that good. I quess I'am not sure on which side it was located. No pictures before it was removed. Documentation is very important for sure.

I believe the plate was attached with heavy nails.

Could it be Sherman that the plate was indeed attached to the toe-board?

Heavy nails ( depending on what you mean as heavy ) would prob. be correct. Autos were attached with very light duty nails.

I see the holes on the plate as rather small ( in my opinion) they look like they would have held at one time what I would consider the correct size nail if I were to compare it to an automobile

I dont remember ever reading anything about the plate ( assuming this is the toe-board plate ) being attached any other place but the toe-board and I have several referances ( factory referances ) that state this as being the correct location

Quote........under the body on the drivers side, attached to the wood frame............never heard this before as a location but that does not mean it couldnt have happened, my ONLY experience with D.B G.B trucks is what I read

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

The D is for a 3é4 ton truck while E is for the year. A was 1924, B for 1925-26, C 1927, D 1928 and E 1929. The 1930 models adopted a new system related to the engine - DA, DB and U. DA and DB are obvious, while U is for the 4 cylinder Plymouth model U. 1931-32 models were series F with the 4 cylinder models being UF.

Prior to January 1, 1929, the trucks were sold as Graham Brothers Trucks. The Dodge Truck name was adopted as of January 1, 1929. The beginning serial numbers for the 1929 Dodge Trucks -

Detroit - D182639

Evansville - E-134710

Stockton - S-110035

Bill

Toronto, ON

Quote........The D is for a 3é4 ton ............Maybe a typo but you would have to go waay out of the way to mistype this so what does this mean? ....3é4

Quote........The D is for a 3é4 ton ............Maybe a typo but you would have to go waay out of the way to mistype this so what does this mean? ....3é4

It is 3/4 ton. My laptop has a tendency after a while to print different charactors for / ? ' " [ ] { and }. The only way to reset it is to shut it off and start over.

The key with ? and / also has é in the top right corner but it is not supposed to be active when using the English language alphabet.

Bill

Toronto, ON