Insurance

A member of our club had a recent fire in her car due to an electrical short in the wiring harness.<P>Her insurance company will only pay for the resulting damanage, i.e. paint, seat etc. They will not however pay for the replacement of the cause of the fire, the wiring harness.<P>Does this make sense?<P>RuthVal

Just wondering, should I ask who the Insurance Co Is??? Do I dare??? shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>I have had one claim with mine, no problem, no questions asked, etc. smile.gif" border="0

Guest John W. Harvey

ez68vet, you didn't mention what insurance company you are using. I wouldn't mind hearing the name of the good ones too!<P>John grin.gif" border="0

She would not tell us the name of the insurance company.<P>But a fellow member who sells antique car insurance stated that this is the policy no matter what company ie JC Taylor, Condon or whatever.

Ruth:<P>For what it is worth, I had a fire in a 1972 Chevy Nova SS, which, fried the harness.<P>I recall that the agent asked if I saw a flash of flame. I did. The hood was up when I started the car and could see the top of the engine. The flash came from the carbs, or so it appeared with the limited visibility I had.<P>They paid for the damage to include the harness.<P>The unknown due to limited visibility is "did the flash actually come from the carbs, or, apppeared to have..."?<P>Just my experience.<P>Regards, Peter. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Ran into a similar experience with my homeowners policy. Mice ate the casing from a bunch of the wires in the basement, for some reason they like it. We didn't discover it until two wires touched and tripped a breaker. When we put in a claim to have the wiring replaced, the insurance co. stated that it doesn't cover damage from rodents. Although, if a spark from the wires caused the house to burn to the ground they would pay for that!! I would have pulled my hair out, but I'm already follicly challenged!! shocked.gif" border="0<p>[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: 54 Oldsman ]

• 3 weeks later...

I WORK FOR AN INSURANCE COMPANY AND TYPICALLY IF THE CAUSE IS "DUE AND CONFINED TO MECHANICAL AND/OR ELECTRICAL FAILURE" THE ITEM THAT FAILED IS NOT COVERED. MEANING THE WIRE HARNESS WOULD NOT BE COVERED IF IT STARTED THE FIRE BUT THE RESULTING DAMAGE WOULD. IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE VERIFIED WHAT ACTUALLY CAUSED THE PROBLEM AND READ YOUR POLICY FOR COVERAGES AND EXCLUSIONS.