WTB 1928 Monroe Shock Absorber/parts

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

I have a 1928 Studebaker Commander model GB Victoria equipped with Monroe hydraulic lever tpe shock absorbers (Stude #157987,FrRH; 157988,FrLH) one has a cracked cast iron reservior cover [casting#17-3].

Will probably need other parts not defined yet, like internal valve assy. Anyway if anyone has surplus parts or a supplier that can, please reply.

Stude8

post-31139-143138926988_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138926995_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Robert

I am planning to drive up to South Bend May 3rd or 4th with Jim McCuan, I hope you will be over there those days, have the shocks with. I would love to visit Joliet but it is a long drive from down south here. If you see Roy Nelson in the next week remind him I will bring up the five 6:00x20 used tires he wanted.

John

Keith

What part of the gas gauge dash or tank?

I will look at the column to look for the levers.

I have some headlight parts , cranks , transmission top,brake drums.

I am old and slow so please have patience.

Where are you located?

Robert Kapteyn

Robert,

My sending unit from the Gas Tank is not in great shape at all, although it is currently covering that hole in the tank. I am complely missing the gauge in the dash. Someone was going to fix it for my Grandfather back in the '70's and never returned it.

WIth regard to the linkages, I am really looking hard for the insides of the column. The rods, steering wheel assembly with horn button and the bakelite disc that shows "throttle", Lights" Spark, etc. In understand the levers themselves are white metal and disintegrate, so i understand I would need to try to purchase reproductions, but when the prrevious owner of my car had the problem, he ripped everything out of the steering column leaving only the column itself.

I would be interested in the drums certainly, and possibly the headlight parts as well. I have a 2 door "Club Sedan", which ends up being a 2nd series ('27 style with a '29 interior and '29 engine).

I hope to have the car along time, so please take all the time you need. I am thankful to know of a parts source, and appreciate your time and assistance very much!

Thank you!!

Keith Gramlich

• 2 months later...

Keith

It has been too hot in the building

I have been staying home where it is cool.

We had a death in the family and I will be going to California for a couple of weeks.

When I get back ,I will look for these again.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest stude8

The steering column levers and 3 post support base were reproduced by Steve Munts but I think he is out of that business at this time. I can attach a few photos of repairs I made to my 1928 Commander lever set a few years ago with Munts parts. Just to give you an idea what all went into the center cluster of the column.

Stude8

post-31139-143139096668_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139096647_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139096652_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139096659_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139096662_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139096665_thumb.jpg

Robert and Stude 8, Thank you! Stude 8, Thank you for posting this. This will help me greatly when I get to this point. Unfortunately my entire unit from the middle of the steering wheel, including horn button, and bakelite "quadrant" is missing and I have not been able to find another one, so I have been looking for the entire assembly.. I feel so bad that Seve is out of the buiness now. I was lucky enough to get the water pump coupleings from him last year and I beleive that was it. I unfortunately got my car just as he was closing up shop.

Robert, If you ever get back out to the building when it cools off, just send me an email at wurli1@live.com and we can talk further.

Many thanks everyone!!

Keith Gramlich