Need for TC infinity radio

Guest LIT MUSE

Guest marvin jay wilson,jr.

LIT MUSE,MARVIN JAY WILSON,JR HERE IN VA.BEACH. GO TO ANY JUNK YARD, LEBARON WILL FIT VERY NICE, LEBARON HAS SOME RADIO'S AS TC, MAYBE 20.00 TO 35.00.

Guest My TC Toy

Check on e-bay they always have circa 1990 radios onsale. Try to get one with AM, FM, Cass and CD. It fits exactly as the original one did. Make sure it is the square one with the bolting points on the right upper side and lower side left.

Good luck.

Bob

Guest My TC Toy

I'm pretty sure you need the amplified speakers. Maybe someone else will be able to be more definative.

Post a new thread looking for speakers. For sure someone here will have what you need.

As far as the radio is concerned any Chrysler radio of the era will fit. See response above.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nickc84

Is this the radio that has the speaker control? The one with the knob that sends volume to the front/rear/left/right etc?

If so, how much?

Thanks,

Nick

Guest Reelhappy

TC Toy, The radio you speak of, does it have the "joystick" to control the speakers? I did google circa 1990 radios got station info but not radio.:eek: Thankful any help you can provide.:)

Guest Lee_M

franc944 - you're missing the radio and speakers? if you are also missing the external amp, you may as well look for an all new more modern solution.

as pointed out by others in this and other posts, the stock chrysler/mitsu head unit is not THAT unique, and can be found with and without an internal amp. the TC had an external amp.

i have two complete TC radio, amp and speaker systems, but i can NOT vouch for their condition - i could be talked into selling them, as is of course. time to check this stuff out is what i have little of.

here are two links i found through this TC forum, for more mopar radio info...

Chrysler Stereo Pages at Allpar

A Guide to Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth) Stereo ?Head Units?

I got a $99 alpine CD player with built in iPod control from sonicelectronix.com, came with free shipping, dash kit, and harness adapter. I also got 2 pair of $39 speakers 5 1/4. Has anyone gotten a 6 1/2 in, looks like lots of room!

It looks and sounds good for the price.

Guest My TC Toy

Reelhappy, I believe most Chrysler radios of this era had the joystick speaker control. Normally, if you find one on e-bay, there will be a picture there as well. The big difference in the TC radio was the electronic on-off switch.

Good luck.

Bob

Guest LIT MUSE

I would like to get the original radio with the joy stick. Junk yards dont carry TC and Lebaron radions anymore. I have static noises on the front speakers and not sure if it is the radio or the speakers. Any advice will be helpful.

Guest Lee_M

at the forum i quoted earlier in this thread, i think you can find trouble-shooting and repair info for common issues with these radios and the speakers. from what i remember reading, often some sort of soldering repair is required at the speaker assembly itself. i think there are some active (maybe passive???) components attached to the speakers, and solder joints need repaired.

i also thought i remember reading someone referenced at that forum will do radio repair, if you are not so inclined.

Guest Jim_McNally

The speakers have amplifiers built in to them, and the capacitors and/or connections go bad, causing the noises you are hearing. They can be repaired by someone with moderate electronics skills - you need to clean the conformal coating of the pc boards, remove the bad caps and solder the new ones in. There are several DIYs covering this - see Chrysler Infinity speakers and speaker repair for one of them.

Jim

Guest My TC Toy

Check out the antenna lead before you go any further. Make certain the antenna is securely mounted, not loose, and that all connections are snug including the radio connection.

Guest LIT MUSE

I had already removed the radio once and made sure all the connectors on the back are secured. Tend to believe that the noise is because of bad speaker. Actually it is from the one on the driver door. I need to figure out how to remove it from the door, fix it or find a replacement.

Guest My TC Toy

The speaker cover gives the appearance that the speaker can be removed without removing the panel. Guess what, you cannot!

Remove the knob of the power mirrors and the trim around the switches by gently prying up at the lower edge. Remove the nut from the power mirror switch

Remove the trim around the door release handle by sliping the plastic surround toward the front and remove. Search the top edge of the carpeting along the bottom of the door and remove 4 screws, they are small robertson and pull off the carpet, be careful becaus it is metal backed and held on with loop & hook fasteners. Then remove all the screws around the door panel, I think there are about 9 of them. Once free, pull out the bottom of the panel and lift the panel vertically. Be careful because all the wiring is still attached to the switches.

You can now get at the speakers.

Good luck.

PS

The door panel is also held on by some concealed plastic clips. Gently pulling on the panel should release these clips.

Edited by My TC Toy
additional info (see edit history)

Guest LIT MUSE

Well, thanks for the info. I had noticed how difficult it is to replace the speaker in the door. I am still confused since the noises I heard were only from the left door speaker. Now I noticed that the noises start coming from the right door speaker as well. So, it might be that both of the speaker are bad or that the noise coming from the radio. Will live with that for a liitle more while and dicide what to do next.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LIT MUSE

My investigation eliminates the radio as the source of static, so I believe I will need new speakers on the driver and passenger door. Does anyone have them in good condition?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LIT MUSE

Still looking for a radio and door speakers. Repair shops don't carry these amp speakers and the radio is down grated to the latest sets.

• 10 months later...
Guest LIT MUSE

The static noise came from the speaker driver door side. I remove it.

Does anyone have a spare one?

• 1 month later...
Guest TCBlack16v
Still looking for a radio and door speakers. Repair shops don't carry these amp speakers and the radio is down grated to the latest sets.

I have a Radio out of very clean TC, radio s/n 4469 312, also the CD player that connects to it that some of the cars came with, and the hard to find connecting cable. It is tested and works fine. I would like to get $75 plus shipping. Sold the car years ago.

SW, Ojai, CA

spjwalker@sbcglobal.net

Edited by TCBlack16v
add email (see edit history)

Guest LIT MUSE

What a small world, you are from Ojai, CA, I live in WA and got my TC in 2005 from Fillmore CA, few minutes away.

I will be interested in the radio only if it works and looks good. Send some pics if you can to skisearch@yahoo.com

Guest My TC Toy

Not suggesting that your speakers are not bad, but I had static in the passenger door. I pulled the panel to check and found one of the wires to the speaker was scraping off a metal edge ( I think it was the glass regulator) and wore through the coating causing static. I taped it up, secured it and all is well ever since. It may be worth a look.

Guest My TC Toy

Lt Muse, there are radios on e-Bay now, one is 251308818297. This will fit your car and give you AM-FM-Cass and CD.