63 brake issue

Guest Lasse

Guest Lasse

Just finished a front end rebuild, in which I left the brakes alone. I had the backing plates wired out of the way, brakelines connected, didn't touch the brakes.

Now I got her back on wheels again and the first reaction was that the brake pedal goes down mighty deep! After some pumping I think it came up a bit, but I'm not sure.

My question is: Can it be so that after sitting unused for 6 months the brake booster and the whole system just needs some pumping and use to start functioning properly again? Or is this an optimistic wish and there is something I need to do to the brakes after the front end rebuild? If so, what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI LASSE,

From my own experience, and I am no expert, my brake pedal did the same thing after sitting for about 3 weeks. I pumped the pedal a couple of time and they returned back to normal without any issues since...Hope this helps

Nick

Be sure your brakes are properly adjusted (if they are NOT properly adjusted they will not pump up but the pedal will remain low). It is common for the original masters to lose a little fluid past the rear seal into the power brake booster when idle for extended periods of time. This allows a little air to enter the chamber which is purged into the reservoir with a few brake applications. Be cautious and absolutely sure, when in more frequent service, that there are no leaks in the system.

Tom Mooney

Guest Lasse

Regarding adjusting, isn´t it so that these things are self adjusting? How does that work, they adjust themselves with a few good pedal strokes? Or should I just adjust them manually through the hole in the backing plate?

They "Self Adjust" each time you reverse and brake....please correct me if I am wrong ;)

. . . only if the adjusters are working properly, and are not siezed !

A good working braking system on a vehicle is a 'must' have - you should check it out, or have it checked by a qualified technician.

It is true the brakes are self adjusting but you must perform an initial adjustment to get the shoes close enough to the drum so you have a decent brake pedal. Insert a tool thru the hole in the backing plate and turn the brake adjuster (toothed wheel) until the shoes can be heard dragging on the drum. It will only turn one way as the adjusting arm prevents turning in the wrong direction.

There are various methods to fine tune the adjustment. I do it by ear and feel but one sure fire way is to adjust the brakes until the wheel locks up (this seats both shoes against the drum) and back off the adjustment until you have a slight drag of the shoes against the drum. Keep in mind to back off the adjustment you will need a second tool, like a thin blade screwdriver, to hold the adjusting arm off the toothed wheel. Good luck,

Tom Mooney