1925 serial number location?

Pete K.

I'm hoping someone could help me out here. My '25 Dodge touring has a very well worn data plate on toe board, with a vehicle # A 388850. Picking through some old paper work that came with car, I have many old registrations and an older bill of sale with a different vehicle number! When I checked the area just behind the right front spring hanger behind the front wheel, there is no number. I've checked three times. Was the frame number stamped into frame or was it on a plate attached to the frame? My frame is not rusted, so I would think I'd see a stamping if one was there. The number on papers coincide with a slightly earlier (1925) Dodge build date than the number on my toe board.

It was stamped directly into the frame and was in many cases very lightly stamped, very difficult to see, also at times stamped onto the top of the frame rail same area but cant be viewed without removal of the fender

Thank you very much Jason and Mike! I'll have to do some wire brushing too, since the numbers MUST be very lightly stamped. I sure hope they're not under the fender Jason, since I'd like to get going on the starting of this baby soon, and that would be just another set back.---Pete.

The numbers should be where we we suggested, they were hand stamped so again may be very light. The second place I mention ( under the fender ) was as far as I have experienced not always there on every car, I dont know much about it except that it was placed there to help identify a car in the chance it was stolen, at least that is a possible explanation for it being there.

Thieves could easliy grind off the numbers on the side of the rail but apparently it was not commonly known that there would be a second number and not so easy to get at.

Well guys, I got my electric wire wheel on the job, and LOW and BEHOLD! I saw a number near top, then started grinding along the top part, OVER the spring shackle-- Now have all the numbers, that are the same as on my toe board plate and I believe the engine # too. These numbers were painted over with the old black paint as you can see, virtually invisible. I was looking in the wrong spot also. Not high enough. Had to take a picture to show how lightly the stampings are, that you guys said they were! Thanks much!

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old post but as an addendum and as a licensed California VIN verifier who specializes in vintage cars but who, of course, does not know the details of every single one until the time comes to verify it, I have found that sometimes the camera in my phone can see things that my eyes cannot so once you know where to look, try taking photos before resorting to grinding and cleaning! It might just pull up what you're looking for.