65 Riv driver's seat hinge repair

whitewatersky

hi y'all, just a question but also maybe of interest to anyone with a sagging back

now I have my seats out for carpet installation, I thought I'd see what's doin with my saggy front seatback

It wasn't as square as the passenger's, so I put them up on the bench side by side and compared things. I decided to remove the chrome protector trim and viola, there's our culprit

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

As you can see, the metal has snapped at the end where the pin pokes into the base of the seat.

I haven't unclipped the vinyl "staples" hold the seat side and back together cos I worry I won't get it back together

just wondering whether anyone else has done this repair and if so, did it require the whole length of steel with the hinge/pin at the end, or whether it's likely to hold up if welded back on...

I wouldn't take the vinyl completely off of the seat back. Maybe expose enough of the seat frame to weld it back up. Of course cover the seat back with a welding blanket and pack wet rags around the area you weld on. I recovered my seats myself. I found the front seat backs very hard to do. You can tear the seams at the top on the outside corners. Like where the top of the metal trim piece lies. just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

appreciate the advice fellas.

got back into this last night. we'll go with the welding. one of our mechanics here is experienced. we have the blanket and I'll suggest the wet rags too.

I got a better look once we removed some trim:

photo-11.jpg

another question... any hints on removing the seat back on the other side ?

photo-10.jpg

does this cap come off ? or is it part of the whole trim cover ? it has received a bit of a hiding somewhere in its life, with evidence of a few bashes here n there

photo-9.jpg

thanks. I actually got the sucker off with a bit of prying.

actually, after levering it almost completely off, my mate helping me gave it a twist a few degrees around and it came off. so maybe I should have just tried turning it, as the inside of the cap seems to indicate it is removed by turning it....

Tom - do you mean a ring that slips into the groove near the end of the pin that stops the pin pulling out of the hinge ? I'll put one on after we get the welding job done. thanks again all :D