Door adjustment?

414TATA

These photos are of my rear passenger door on a 1941 Buick Super 51

there is a gap between the rear panel and the door.

A restorer did not think the car has been in an accident.

The rubber seal is gone on most of that side of the door but remains on top and on the post side. I am aware I can purchase the seal by the foot for replacement.

My questions are: Is an adjustment of the latch / hinge possible to make this a tighter fit? Could it be because of the partial rubber seal? or both?

Also what should I use to hold the new seal in place?

The gap in the photo appears wider than in reality and appears to have a seal in place, it does not.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

1941 Super

post-78086-143138906783_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138906816_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138906845_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138906875_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

It is hard to tell by the photos, but the door may have been forced open past the detent device. I suggest you compare measurements with the door on the opposite side to determine where the problem is. I suspect the hinges may have been bent past full open or the door was forced closed with something caught in the door.

My $0.02

Guest Grant Magrath

The dovetail wedge on the door adjusts the height of the front edge of the rear door (suicide doors) so that the trim lies up. The hinges should give you the adjustment you're after.

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant Magrath (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Duh! Now I look at the pictures properly, I can see what you were adjusting! I offered you advice on everything but the adjustment you wanted Wayne! Sorry!

Cheers

Grant