What Buicks are in these photos?

Guest Job

Hi all,

Can anybody out here help me with the identification of the Buicks in my photos?

Photos have been taken over a period of 12 years in some countries in Europe.

Any help or confirmation is apreciated!

I will start with the photos from 1929 Buicks.

29_1.jpg

#1: This must be a coupe for 4 or 5 persons. Options are:

1: model 48 4 passenger coupe on the 121 inch wheelbase.

2: Model 58 5 passenger coupe on the 129 inch wheelbase

Can anybody judge by this photo which model this is?

29_6a.jpg

29_6b.jpg

#2: looks like a sport coupe or business coupe. Options are:

1: model 26: business coupe 2 passenger on 116 inch wheelbase

2: model 26S: sport coupe 4 passenger on 116 inch wheelbase

3: model 46: business coupe 2 passenger on 121 inch wheelbase

4: model 46S: sport coupe 4 passenger on 121 inch wheelbase

What is it?

29_3.jpg

#3: looks like a sport roadster; only option in that case would be the model 44, right?

29_5.jpg

#4: a phaeton. Two options:

1: model 25 on 116 inch wheelbase

2: model 49 on 129 inch wheelbase.

29_4.jpg

#5: a phaeton. Two options:

1: model 25 on 116 inch wheelbase

2: model 49 on 129 inch wheelbase.

29_2.jpg

#6: would be a convertible coupe, model 54CC, correct?

29_7.jpg

#7: Probably a model 57 on the long 129 wheelbase, do you agree?

Hope you can help!

Many thanks in advance!

All the best, Job

Just from the photos, you can determne standard series cars from the painted headlight buckets. The larger series had chrome buckets.

Thanks Mark.

In that case, all cars are from the larger series...? From the first phaeton, the car is registered as having a 116 inch wheelbase, so that would be a model 25. That car seems to have chromed headlight buckets as well, so I'm confused now...

I was able to extract the wheelbase length from the cars with Dutch registration.

My questions left:

1: Is photo #1 model a coupe on the 121 inch wheelbase (48) or on the 129 inch wheelbase (58)?

2: Is photo 2 a sport coupe or business coupe and is it on the 116 wheelbase (model 26(S)) or 121 (46(S))?

3: is #5 a 116 or 129 phaeton?

That's all! Hope somebody knows!?

Best, Job

Edited by Job (see edit history)

The problem with restored vehicles is that there is no evidence that they were kept correct to original standards. This is the issue with Radiator ornaments and the chrome hood vent doors on 32 Buicks.

It is entirely possible that during restoration the owner preferred the look of chrome rather than painted headlamp buckets.

Unfortunately, to fully ID these cars you need info off body tags, frame tags and engine numbers.

Bob

Thanks Mark.

In that case, all cars are from the larger series...? From the first phaeton, the car is registered as having a 116 inch wheelbase, so that would be a model 25. That car seems to have chromed headlight buckets as well, so I'm confused now...

Just to add to your confusion - ALL Australian models were fitted with the chrome headlights fitted to the larger series cars in the USA and this may be the case with cars originally supplied to Europe ( but I'm not sure ).

A standard series ( 116" wheelbase ) Roadster was also produced in Australia so that is another option for photo #3 - although if this was an Australian model it would be RHD.

Thanks, interesting fact about the Australian built cars!

I see what you both mean. But even the difference between 116 and 129 tourings is impossible to determine by a photo...? Where is all that extra length gone...

And the difference between the business coupe and sport coupe in photo #2? I see no steps for the rumble seat, so is this a business coupe?