Where do the lines go from the oil filter

Guest m37jarhead

Guest m37jarhead

I have a 251 c.i. engine installed in my 1953 Dodge M37. Engine was a basket

case when I got it. Engine now rebuilt and installed in chassis.

Lots of "holes" on the left side of the engine and cannot tell where the lines

from the oil filter go. Have clear pic's that I can email to anyone if that will help.

Thanks, JB

m37jarhead@yahoo.com

Depending on the year a 251 engine might be setup for a full flow filter... Also on the same forum that Rusty_OToole linked to you should be able to find information about that, look for posts by Don Coatney.

Guest m37jarhead

Thanks for the links. The oil line set up for the 54 Plymouth shown on the link seems to be opposite of the pic I have on an old, discarded 251 block. The engine number for my block appears to be C61-83683 or C51-83683. The C61 and/or C51 are not the clearest stamping.

Months ago I tracked down the number and if I remember correctly the engine was from a mid '50's Chrysler Windsor. Further research may prove different.

As you might expect, I've spent considerable time and money rebuilding my 251 so I'm wanting to get the oil lines installed correctly and not "fry" the bearings on the new rebuild.

Again, I am able to email clear pic's of the oil line setup on the "discarded" engine and also pic's of the left side of my engine.

When my engine was running before rebuild, many of the external parts had been converted to use military M37 truck engine parts. Included are military 24Volt gen., carb, distributor, fuel pump, and the typical oversized oil filter canister.

Any additional advise or links would be greatly appreciated. JB

If it is a mid-50s Chrysler engine it probably had a full flow oil filter installed. You might want to look at this post on the P15-D24 forum: www.P15-D24.com - View Single Post - Full Flow Oil Filter ???

And others by the same poster. If the threaded plug in the block is in place for the full flow filter and you try to setup a bypass filter I think you'll starve the engine for oil...

Guest m37jarhead

Thanks for the pic's. They should point me in the right direction. Raining and hailing here now but took a quick peek at how I've hooked up the oil lines. I've got it wrong. My 251 does have the diamond shaped boss with all the holes.

No studs were sticking out of the boss adding to my confusion.

Don't think I can post pic's on this forum yet but I can email you my pic's if you'll give me your

email address.

Jerry

Diamond shaped boss suggests your engine had the aluminum tower filter with no external oil lines. The base bolted right to the block. It was used on Chrysler 1951 and newer. Your engine must be a C51 which is a 1951 or 52 Chrysler.

Chrysler's Flathead Engine

1st picture - partial flow filter

2nd picture - full flow filter with aluminum tower base. Note clamp fitting lid.

3d picture - no filter at all

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest m37jarhead

Yes, mine engine is a 251 c.i. with a block number starting with C51. Currently installed in

a 1953 M37. No filter tower was with the truck when I bought it. The filter had already

been converted to the large military style oil filter canister.

The first picture is how I've got it hooked up now (partial flow) but I question if the lines can somehow be run to make it perform as a full flow filter.

Thanks,

JB