1932 Murphy Roadster body Hupmobile

RKS

It would not seem too likely that the Murphy Body Co. of Pasadena Ca. that made bodys for high end automobiles such as Duesenberg and Bugatti made this 1 for Hupmobile. It looks all Hupmobile, a 1932 Model F -222 small 8-cyl. The Murphy Body Co. closed in 1932. If the car was present it would be very easy to tell as Murphy Body used their own sill plates with their name on them.

Note the slanted grills on the 2 in this pic. The 1932 F-222 in the above pic is straight up, not leaning back. The 2 in the pic are 1933 Models. The 1 on the left is a F-322 8-cyl. and the other is a Model K 321 6 cyl. There were a few custom bodys on the big 8 cyl Model U Hupps producted 1929 to 1932. There is 1 custom body on a 1932 Cycle fender Phaeton which was the personal car that designer Raymond Loewy, had built to show the heads of Hupmobile what his design would look like. When I get back to N.H. in April, I will post a pic. of his personal custom body 1932 Cycle Fender Hupmobile.

The Hupp Motor car company produced 1280 Model U's from 1929 to 1932. Not sure how many have survived. There is 1 in the Hupp Club roster for 2011. One of our great past members of the club once said to me that until you look in every conceidable place that is large enough to store a car, that is a question that will never be answered correctly. I know this may not help,but its food for thought.

Guest E. C. KLEIN

the car appears to be Hupmobile 1932 F222 cabrio prototype--- note that the windshield does not fold down like the production cars... also the door handle is not production-- everythingelse looks just like factory....it is a raymond leowy design.