switching Carbs on a 1933 Buick

Guest outlaw car man

Guest outlaw car man

A friend of mine had mentioned switching the 1933 Marvel updraft carburator to a Studebaker updraft carb.

Anybody heard of this or what model Studebaker carb ????

Be an interesting alternative to flipping the exhaust manifold and replacing with another downdraft, which sounds like a pain.

Thanks-

Sandy

Guest outlaw car man
I would try a BB-1 or Zenith updraft first...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, knew I wasn't going to get a lot HHAAHA-

You know the 1933 Buick Marvel issues, no need to go into that- I had a Carter on my 1933 Essex Terraplane 8, big 8 engine. Thought maybe a swap with that type might solve the ongoing issues. Had no problems with it. Same with my 33 Pontiac, a Carter. No problems.

One of my 90s is running fine, other is causing problems again. This is at Spring start up, so I was thinking....Just a thought.

Thanks,

Sandy

This may not help with Buick, But I do know that the 8 Cylinder Pierce Arrow, and the Studebaker manifold will interchange. Although, the fireing order cast in the manifold is different. Seems to me the straight 8 Pierce I worked on last year was a Stromberg. Hard carb to find as the pot metal warped and fell apart on most of them. Here is link to a list of Studebaker Carburetors. Look at the 8 cylinder list. If you are lucky enough to find one that is rebuildable, I know of a fellow that can re-jet it for modern fuel. Dandy Dave!

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/catalog/Studebaker/index.html

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)