1937 Fuel pump questions

deaddds

<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My 37 is the inline 6. I have an electric pump on it that works fine and I have a mechanical rebuilt pump that I wanted to put on. Question is should I put a switch inline to use the electric as a primer or emergency pump or can I put the mechanical on and would it be able to operate the vacuum wipers without a direct fuel line? As you can guess I currently do not have wipers, that's how I figured out the mechanical pump on the car was not hooked up, it was bypassed. I didn't know if the vacuum for the wipers is created from the liquid fuel or just the action of the pump arm or if I will roach the pump without fuel to cool it? Any advice would be great.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 1 month later...
Guest redrider

Check the electric pump to see if it will pass fuel without running. For it to be a stand-by pump, the mechanical pump must be able to draw fuel thru the electric pump. Attempt to blow thru the pump from the inlet side, or suck thru it from the output side.

If you are running an electric pump, and have a crash, you want the pump to shut down. Easiest way to do this is to use an electrical relay that senses engine oil pressure. Now with a power switch and the relay, the pump dies if the engine dies. For cranking, have a spring-off power switch to by-pass the relay for momentary power to the pump without engine running.

The dual diaphram pump is two totally independent pumps, one to pump gas, one to pump air. So you can use only the vacuum pump without using the gas side with no problem. The use of a vacuum reservoir tank will also help with wiper action. Put the tank (any tank you can fit in a hiding place) in line between the 'fuel' pump and the wiper motor.