16v manual transmission

rofly1

I'm gonna weigh in here Roger because I chased my tail(and pulled a transmission twice over this issue.) I blamed the fork for an issue I had where the throw out bearing ended up INSIDE the diaphragm of the clutch fingers. It was a newly aquired TC that hadn't run in a long time and after 2K miles or so aweful noises came from the trans and clutch was inoperable. Pulled the trans, replaced the diphragm, same issue a thousand or so miles later:( Turns out, the diaphragm was wrong. Original 284 TC diaphragms have a rounded section in the middle where the 'fingers' terminate. The replacement units were flat and when the clutch was engaged and the TO bearing was deflecting the fingers, it was cutting thru the diaphragm itself.

Was the diaphragm recently replaced? could be the wrong (non rounded) unit...

By the way, I ended up converting that car to a very easy to find 523 Chrysler manual trans. Neccesitates shifter replacement, axle replacement and some mount customizing but clutches and rebuild parts are readily available...

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the information. I dont know if the diaphagm has ever been replaced. I have had the car for almost a year. There were no noises coming from the transmission, but it was rough shifting. Do you know if the fork can be removed and replaced? If so, how does it come off?

Thanks again Roger

Alan,

Thanks for the information. I dont know if the diaphagm has ever been replaced. I have had the car for almost a year. There were no noises coming from the transmission, but it was rough shifting. Do you know if the fork can be removed and replaced? If so, how does it come off?

Thanks again Roger

Roger,

Never mind Tom and his usually less than positive outlook... Shift fork that operates the Throw Out bearing?? Sure, it can be removed but you have to pull the trans. Replaced? Not going to be an easy to come by part. Rough shifiting? Try draining and replacing the fluid with something lighter weight. The gearset & trans was spec'd out to be rated for 450lbsft of torque (for the mid engined Corvette it was designed for:cool:) so accordingly the gears are massive and lead to notchy shifting IMO.

Alan

The throw out bearing is not flat it is at an angle because the fork is worn unevenly. One leg is longer than the other. Rick Diogo has a few but only one new one. He is willing to ship it to me but doesnt know how to get it out. If you could explain it to me I will pass the info on to him.

Roger

if you need parts is have a 284 thats gonna become scrap soon

So if we carefully reread, substitute letters, and add punctuation, I do see now that you were offering to help. Thank you for that.:cool: My mistake:o. Thanks Tom. Hey Roger needs a shift fork, any idea how much you would like to get for it?

Roger, my brain is getting older and I can't recall right now how to remove it, it has a circlip right? Or is it pressed on? I'd have to look... Who knew that pushing 50 meant that my brain would be getting so soft:o

Alan