Starter Amperage

Guest BigDogDaddy

Guest BigDogDaddy

I'd like to find out how many amps the starter draws when cranking on a 1940 320 engine. I'd try to test it on my unit, but my car is in storage, and I haven't been able to get out to it.

I'm guessing most 6 volt starters would have a similar amount of amperage draw.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Watch your amp gage when starting your car. If you don't have an electric fuel pump to "prime" the carb, you'll have several seconds/minutes to observe the gage, while the starter grinds away. Especially if the choke is not set right.

Mike in colorado

Guest BigDogDaddy

The car is in storage about a half hour from my house. I have not had the time to get out to the car. I was hoping someone could tell me exactly how many amps the starter draws during cranking.

Thanks,

Phil

Bigdog,

To answer your question properly, contact "Startergenrebuilder" via PM. He is a senior member on the Buick forum, and should have the info you are looking for. He's in Mich.

Please report back what you find out, for the benefit of those who do a "search" on this subject later on.

Mike in Colorado

Phil,

Watch your amp gage when starting your car. If you don't have an electric fuel pump to "prime" the carb, you'll have several seconds/minutes to observe the gage, while the starter grinds away. Especially if the choke is not set right.

Mike in colorado

What you are seeing on the ammeter while you crank the engine is the current through the ignition system, probably only a couple of amps. Not the current going through the starter.

I am unaware of any car that ran its starter current through the dash ammeter. Those gauges were designed for modest current draws. I would expect an early '30s car to have a dash gauge that can handle 20 or so amps. In later years with bigger motors and heavier electrical accessory load maybe maybe they got up to 60 or so amps.

In any case that is far less than a starter requires. I would expect 150 to 250 amps for a starter but your factory service manual is the place you should check. If I recall correctly, there should be two tests: A no-load RPM and current test and a stall torque and current test. The stall current will be the high current one.

Guest RonJar

From a 1938 service manual:

Bench Test

Stall = 600 amps @ 3 volts

Running = 380 amps @ 4.2 volts

Hope this helps ... RonJ