Heated O2

jonlabree

Three wire? The couple I have fooled with use a standard single wire for the sensor and two heavier wires for the heater, one is grounded and the last one is supplied with 12v from an ignition source. The ones I worked with were not polarity sensitive. Other than that, I cannot help.

My understanding is that the sensor is the same as a one-wire. The heater is to allow a faster light off and to get any advantage you would need to shorten the delay for closed loop and make sure the heater is only on for a few seconds at startup.

That said there are also wide range sensors but that would require remapping.

I looked into this a bit further and the heater in the sensor is to be be powered whenever the engine is running. MegaSqurt uses the fuel pump relay to power O2 sensor heater, although I would use an independant relay triggered by an ignition source. It looks like the difference between a three and four wire is case ground for the three wire sensor or independant ground for the four wire. The heater uses two wires in either case.

I have a couple of new heated sensors and will check the amp draw as soon as I get the chance.

Guest Mc_Reatta

2seater, what do you think using a heated O2 sensor will do for you if the ECM still won't enter closed loop operation until the engine reaches its set point temperature by which time a non-heated sensor will be inside its operating temperature as well?

I am certainly no expert on this subject. I have seen comments elsewhere that it speeds up the closed loop operation, but I do not see how that would be possible without reprogramming? There appears to be a couple of possible advantages, one I have observed, and the other is anectdotal from other websites. First, on occasion, I have observed my O2 sensor would become inactive after extended idle periods, ostesibly from becoming too cool. I believe the heater would improve this situation. The second is conjecture that the sensor lasts longer when subjected to alternate fuel blends, such as race fuels (leaded?). I don't know if this may retard harmful deposit buildup or how it may help.