65 Gran Sport Brakes

Guest rsmalling

Guest rsmalling

I did a brake inspection this week as it had been years since I replaced the shoes. Still had plenty of lining, but the rear wheel cylinders were looking

pretty juicy.

I decided to go ahead and have my cylinders bored and sleeved with the stainless steel inserts. So I did front and rear W/C, had my shoes relined front and rear, new front seals, all my hardware, springs and adjusters were still in great shape. The drums just got a real light cut as well. I almost forgot how cool the Rivi's are with the alum front drums, way cool! I had the Master sleeved a couple years ago, so now my hydraulics are back to top shape. My buddy here in town does a great job with the Power Brake Boosters and Resleeving service.

If any of you guys need this service, Welcome to Karps Brake Service Ronnie can take good care of your needs. Ive dealt with him for years. he's just a few blocks from my shop.

OK Bob: With old cars the brakes really need to be good. These big Buicks had great breaks and it still baffles me why people go to the disc set up when they have an excellent system when in good condition. . Also, it's really easy to jump into an old car, take off, and take for granted that the brakes are OK. That is something I have been guilty of and I'm trying to break my self of that habit. Mitch

When I was collecting disk brake parts for my '64 I was making the change because the steel liners in so many of the existing drums were getting to the point where they were out of limits for safety. Since then, J&G http://www.jgrelining.com/about.html has started a company which can put new steel liners in your drums. Unless you're just looking for the look of the caliper through a set of aftermarket wheels, there's no reason for anyone to be getting rid of the OE aluminum drums. The only thing to consider with OE brakes is the addition of a dual reservoir master cylinder - that's just a safety factor.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I don't have a Riviera, but like to read the Riviera forum because my 62 Electra has a lot in common chassis-wise with the early Rivieras.

Has anybody here used J&G Relining yet? I have been fighting a brake problem with my Electra that I think is a front drum problem but I haven't had time to verify. I have thought about doing the front disk conversion, but I also remember that when I first bought my Electra 17 years ago that the brakes were just fine and stopped the car just as well as a newer car with disk brakes.