Packards in New Zealand

nzcarnerd

I posted this yesterday in the General Discussion area under the Airplanes and Buicks etc thread but thought it might be seen by more Packard people if I added it here.

"These shots were taken this afternoon - 12 February 2012 - at West Melton airfield, just west of Christchurch, New Zealand. The occasion was an open day to remember that it was 50 years to the day that one of New Zealand's great aviation mysteries began, with the disappearance of a De Havilland Dragonfly on a sightseeing trip to Milford Sound. No trace of the aircraft or its passengers has ever been found. When you see pictures of the rugged terrain in the area it comes as no surprise. Another five aircraft have disappeared in the same general area in the years since.

Unfortunately the vintage Dragonfly aircraft that was supposed to appear at today's event suffered engine problems at its home base near Gore in Southland - about 250 miles south of Christchurch - but there were a few other De Havilland aircraft there, including the Tiger Moth in the picture and a couple of Chipmunk trainers. Also, a De Havilland Vampire jet fighter did a fly past. The local Vintage Car Club was invited to display cars at the event and about 100 turned up, ranging from a Holsman and an Alldays and Onions, both of 1905, to cars of the 1970s.

The two Packards in the picture are a 1930 733 sport phaeton which was restored in the 1960s and still looks as good today as it did then - and is still owned by the same person - and a 1937 115-C six, the only survivor of the two rumble seat coupes to be imported to NZ in 1937, which has just been returned to the road after 40 years in storage. Behind the coupe in the pic is a 1940 Super Eight, a recent import to NZ."

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>117697d1329025823t-airplanes-buicks-caddys-oh-my-img_0012.jpg 117698d1329025823t-airplanes-buicks-caddys-oh-my-img_0009.jpg

</FIELDSET>

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest stephen48

I saw the Packard coupe at the big display at Wanganui a couple of weeks ago but photograpy was difficult as they parked the cars too close together as usual , even though there was acres of ground available!

Nice car though.

• 1 month later...
Guest Alex.B

I thought the Packard looked good-was a shame how few real vintage cars come to these events now. TO much brit rubbish from the 60's & 70's. I went hoping to see more real vintage cars but came away disappointed. i heard the Saturday was much better

Guest stephen48

Alex you are right. The NZVCC has become a 2nd hand car club since they changed the eligibilty a few years ago to accept the used cars we see every day on the road. As a result many serious enthuisiasts with older vehicles do not bother to attend events. :( Saturday was no better.

Stephen48, you will find that the 'cars you see everyday' are very rapidly disappearing from our roads. The current VCC eligibilty is 30 years old and you will find very few 30 year old cars in regular use.

A good example is the 1980-83 110/112 series Toyota Crown of which I have an example - a rare two door coupe. Ten years ago there were several dozen sedans in regular use around Chch, a mix of local new and imports. They have gradually disappeared and I have not seen one on the road for more than a year. My 1987 Crown wagon is about the only car on the road locally now with fender mirrors. The Crowns were built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Mine has 350,000 km on it and still has its original clutch and has not had anything done to the engine yet.

Unfortunately the 'serious enthusiasts with older vehicles' are also getting older themselves and many do not realise that the value of their car is not increasing like they think it is and tend to have unrealistic expectations when they decide it is time to part with it. In dollar terms most old cars here are worth no more now than they were 30 years ago.