65 GS AC Ball vent Felt

Guest rsmalling

Replacing these "gaskets" on the ball vents is really easy. There's no need to have to tear into the dash to fix them. Rotate the balls so that the grove is facing you. Go to your local hardware store and find a roll of adhesive backed weatherstrip in the correct thickness and width. Peel the backing off, start rotating the ball and apply the weatherstripping. When the ball makes a complete revolution, cut the weatherstripping to length, then rotate the ball so the vents are once again facing out. You might not be able to find felt, but anything you find should work. You can't see the felt when the ball in oriented correctly. All you want is for the ball to stay where you aim it and not rattle.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

yeah thanks Ed! that was how I was going to try it. without removing it from the dash. Glad you confirmed it for me. I ordered some 1/4 x 1/4 inch soft felt so I will try that and see if I have the right fit.

Thanks for Posting!

Rob

Hi, Gang. Concerning this need: I found an almost exact replacement, self-adhesive felt at a local glass shop. I was able to buy just a couple of feet of it from them. It was very inexpensive...less than $0.50 a foot. My memory is that they had this material in several widths, for use in residential glass projects.

Worth checking for at a glass shop near you. Actually, I'd visit or call a couple of local shops, since some seem to be more interested in doing the kind of glass projects this self-adhesive felt is used for. John