1941 Cadillac 60 Special ALL ORIGINAL

While I'm very hesitant to throw around the words "barn find" because they've become like "restored original" and "restored (but with a modern crate motor)," this unrestored 1941 Cadillac 60 Special does, indeed, have an interesting story to tell.

The original owner had it routinely serviced at the dealership where he bought it. As a matter of fact, he insisted on having the same mechanic look after it each time. When that owner died, he willed this car to that mechanic, who kept it for another 30-something years. When he passed away about 15 years ago, it came to the current owner, his brother, who has kept it in a warehouse at his business ever since. That's one heck of an ownership chain and an interesting story to tell!

The car has been started regularly and driven sparingly, but never restored. When I found it, it was buried in the warehouse and hadn't been driven for approximately 3 years. It has 100% original paint, chrome, and interior, with the only notable replacement items being the tires, hoses, belts, plugs, and battery. There is zero rust anywhere on the car, and no signs that it has ever been in an accident. The dark blue paint is 70 years old, so there's some microblistering, but I think if it were mine, I'd do what the gentleman in http://forums.aaca.org/f165/aceswild03s-40-buick-beautifucation-thread-321192.html did with his 1940 Buick. Great results!

The chrome is fair to good, 100% original, and should probably be left alone for HPOF judging. Most importantly, there's no pitting, but it does look like production chrome from 1941, which was a lot different than the chrome we expect on show cars today. Glass is all intact, and the rubber seals are in remarkably good condition considering their age. It's also loaded with options including fog lamps, back-up lamp, windshield washers, radio, heater, and defroster. Sadly, the clock and radio do not work, but that's not really a surprise, now is it?

The interior is the jewel in this car's crown. Fitted with seat covers on Day One, the original upholstery is like new. The owner is reluctant to remove the covers (which are tightly fitted to the cushions, perhaps even stapled in place), but when I was with the car, I peeked underneath where I could and it appears to be intact, unblemished, and well preserved. Things like the carpets and door panels are soiled with age and use, but undamaged, and will probably clean up with a good scrub. The gauges and woodgrained dash are beautifully preserved, and yes, that's the original steering wheel. The wood garnish moldings are near perfect, too, and all the knobs and handles are nice. Mileage is 66,242 which is surely authentic. The trunk is equally clean, with no rust and well-preserved original coverings.

The engine starts and runs quietly, and the Hydra-matic transmission shifts well. The engine bay is a little grungy, but like the interior, I would merely clean it, not restore it. Brakes are solid and functional, and it goes down the road quite nicely, although on those ancient tires, I wouldn't push it. No rust on the chassis, which has a replacement exhaust system from decades ago, but I'd wager everything else is original. The tires are obviously incorrect Sears bias-ply, but a set of new correct whitewalls would make this car sparkle.

If it were mine, I'd cut and buff the paint, give the interior an industrial-grade scrub, steam clean the engine bay, and hit some HPOF judging, where it will knock them out. There's a jewel underneath, and I'm a big fan of the '41 60 Special, which is surely one of the best looking designs of the late pre-war era.

We have not really cleaned the car up, and I'll tell you honestly that we're divided here at Vintage Motor Cars as to whether we should. Barn finds are routinely marketed by the big auction houses covered with dirt in 'as-found' condition and they continue to pull record numbers. So while it has at least had a bath, we will leave it to the next owner to decide how to proceed beyond that. You already know what I'd do if it were mine.

So is it a barn find? Probably not. But it has a great story to tell, it is a Full Classic that's one of the best-driving cars of the era, and presents with wonderful originality. Values are slowly creeping up on these, but probably not enough to justify a complete restoration. However, with new-found dedication to originality in the hobby lately, this one probably can't be duplicated in its current condition at any price.

Asking $25,900, and we're open to offers.

post-31138-143138828036_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828039_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828042_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828045_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828048_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828051_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828053_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828056_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828058_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138828061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

*SOLD*

Actually, I bought this one for myself. Look for it at Hershey in the HPOF class and most likely the car corral. I'm planning to do all the things it obviously needs: buff the paint, remove the seat covers, scrub the interior and engine bay, and install some new wide whitewall tires. I may re-list it once all the work is done, unless I fall in love which is certainly possible. :D

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)