55 super wire harness

Guest Calmcsahead

Guest Calmcsahead

hello, has any one taken on the challenge of changing a wire harness in a 55 super? any pros/conss to changing one? choice of suppliers? would a 55 roadmaster work with a 55 super?

For 55;

I think the biggest (maybe the only difference) from the Roadmaster to the Super is; the Roadmaster has an interior roof light on each front door header for a total of two roof lights. The Super has a single dome light in the center of the roof. Air conditioned jobs had a separate wiring harness for the Air Conditioner alone.

My Roadmaster is running the original wiring harness. I would be interested in what you find out and what supplier you use.

Guest Calmcsahead

Thats the same thing that I was thinkin. My wire hareness appears to be in good shape even though its 57 yrs young, and all componets work minus intermittent gas gauge. All the folks that I know with older cars suggest remove/replave the wiring as not to burn down the car....

Guest Calmcsahead

thanks for the help, mine does pretty good it sat for about 6-8 months when I was gone, came back primed the fuel and it started right up

I have not changed the harness in my 56 Super either. It never had a short or killed a healthy battery. I even had one of those antique restoration batteries last 7 months once. But now I do keep the battery disconnected. It's just not worth the worry.

I still have gas guage problems but when it did not work at all I found loose wires on the back of the guage. Right now I have a replacement pickup and sender unit in the tank and oddly enough it seems I get eratic gas guage readings at two times.

If it hasn't been run in a long time and I have not maintained a full charge on the battery, and when it gets below a half tank.