Need some auto electrical help please

Guest namvetschrysler

Guest namvetschrysler

My 1930 Chrysler 66, Positive to Earth system, i have decided to install a conventional type 6 volt coil and a straight forward off on ignition switch, however i am not too sure just how to go about wiring this up and i don't want anything to burn.

My main concern are the two wires from the switch i think one goes to the negative side of the coil but i not sure where the other goes. There is a wire from the fuel Gauge to this side as well

On the plus side of the coil i have the wire from the distributor and one to the amp meter.

The amp meter has one wire from the starter switch on one side and on the other one to the relay, one to the fuse block and then out to the horn and as mentioned one to the plus side of the coil,

It's easy for me to write this as i see it but i can't visualize just what all these wires are doing.

If someone can understand what i am on about and could give me some advice i would be most appreciative, particularly in respect of the off on switch.

Thank you

PS: I do have a copy of a wiring diagram but hopeless me can't follow it

I will probably be faced with the same situation, so I am also curious to read the replies.

My coil and switch were separated at some point in time, to clean the contacts, and it is now in two pieces. Can probably fix but if not I may have to follow your path.

I am looking for reliability, also.

Bill H 30 Chrysler CJ, 4 Dr.

Guest namvetschrysler

Yes Bill i think it is the way to go, i have a few original Coils with the key combined, the original one i had in the car worked but it was breaking down when hot.

I just hope we have a auto sparky or someone knowledgeable enough here to put us on the right track, my wiring diagrams just aren't detailed enough for a novice like me to follow.

George and Bill: If you like you could set it up like a Model A. The hot (neg) comes from the starter ahead of the switch and goes to a junction box. From there it goes thru the ammeter then back down to the JB. From there it goes to the neg terrminal (black) on the driver's side of the coil which is mounted on the firewall. The red wire comes off the pos terminal ( think pos-pass) and goes back thru the JB (no connection) and up to the switch. From the switch it goes thru an armored cable to the dist. If you want I can post a diagram but not till tomorrow.

Guest namvetschrysler

G/day Dave,

Thanks mate but i am not too sure if that is possible with this Chrysler, i mean it's not a complicated system but it is different to anything i have seen before, at the moment i have ignition, starter, amp, fuel gauge, and side lights ***working, it has a mongrel of a light switch that i just can't get right, i have a few of these switches all of which seem ok but for some reason it is not working too well, as i said i have side lights but that is all on the lighting side.

I think if the complete wiring was gutted and i had to start again and if i had the knowledge i may change it to a more straight forward system.

I thank you for your input Dave

Regards

george

*** As to whether or not the car will operate the way i have done it (trial and Error) i won't know until i am ready to start it.

If you are interested i could send you the wiring diagram that i have but would need an email address.

I guess I got a little carried away. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it close to original but the Model A system is so prevalent in the old car hobby sometimes it's the way to go. You could elect to put in modern systems like Petronix just to get on the road. My email is auburnelec@gmail.com and you're more than welcome to contact me. Anything for a fellow Navy comrade, but I don't need the diagram