82/84 riviera motor trans and part compatability

Guest Pauro

I received an 84 from a friend for cheap. interior is pretty water damaged from a after market sun roof that doesn't open or close. this car has low mileage though. it was very rarely driven, however it wasnt stored correctly. i recently purchased an 82 with a beautiful body and interior. the 82 is missing the hood ornament, the power windows don't open, the power locks dont work and i cannot move the AC knob past AC. i planned on keeping the 84 for parts and putting them in the 82 if said part ever fails. any help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

I have learned over the years what you might need from a parts car might suprise you. I don't know how many times I disregarded parts in the yards because I didn't need them at the time but a year or so later wished I'd kept it. If you have a place to permantely park a parts car it's best to keep the whole car and cover it with a tarp if you can.

anyone got an idea of what the heater knob problem could be?

If it is the manual Air conditioning and the knob won't slide from side to side the keeper on the selector in the head unit is problem fallen down. Simple fix and you should see what the problem is by taking the control head off.

guys thanks for the info but my knowledge of cars is pretty limited. so if you could explain in a bit more detail i would greatly appreciate it. i don't know what a keeper or selector is on a control head is, can somebody define this

Edited by Pauro (see edit history)

Sorry I do not have a picture of what I'm trying to explain. You just have to take the dash center piece off (very gently) and take the 4 screws out holding the control head in the dash, slightly pull it forward so you can see what's binding it up. As you slide the lever it turns a wheel. That wheel has a keeper to keep it from flying off. Or at least that was the problem I had with mine.

When I put an aftermarket stereo in my '85, I used a universal kit I got at the local Best Buy. It worked fine. I know the radios have different chassis and they're in different locations between 82 and 85, but the basics are the same. I've done other mid 80's GM vehicles and used the same kit on each.

What you'll need to look for is how the chassis is set up for the shafts on the OE '82 radio. If there's nothing built into the chassis for support of the shafts, it should be a piece of cake to install any DIN radio in the opening. (If the radio will slide out from the front, I'm thinking you've got it made. If you have to slide it out from the rear to get the shafts out, you're going to have to do some "alterations.")

The thing that made the swap easiest for me was to have a tech guy at Best Buy crimp the harness to the new radio to an adapter for the cars wiring harness. At that point it was a plug n' play operation.

Your new radio will most likely be a 4 ohm output radio. All of the speakers in your Riv are going to be 10 speakers. Now's a good time to upgrade your speakers as well. Trying to run the 10 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm head unit will burn up the head unit given some time.

Ed

PS - Didn't catch your name

• 3 weeks later...