1956 olds timing

Guest 400mag

I recently tuned up my 56 Olds and thought the timing was off, and as I cleaned off the timing ring on the harmonic balancer, the timing ring just turned on its own without me even turning the engine over. Does anyone know what that means? The car still has the original 324 engine with 90,000 miles on it, and nothing has ever been done to the engine besides a couple of tune ups. I realize that, that is quite a bit of miles for a 50's car, but it doesn't smoke and fires right up. Does that mean that it's gonna need to be rebuilt now or is there another option? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

Guest Jim_Edwards
I recently tuned up my 56 Olds and thought the timing was off, and as I cleaned off the timing ring on the harmonic balancer, the timing ring just turned on its own without me even turning the engine over. Does anyone know what that means? The car still has the original 324 engine with 90,000 miles on it, and nothing has ever been done to the engine besides a couple of tune ups. I realize that, that is quite a bit of miles for a 50's car, but it doesn't smoke and fires right up. Does that mean that it's gonna need to be rebuilt now or is there another option? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

If the outer ring on the harmonic balancer is rotating the balancer needs to be rebuilt or replaced (if you can find one). Timing any engine with the timing marks in an unknown relationship to the rotating assemblies is quite difficult though it can be done if you start with the #1 piston at top dead center on the compression stroke. FYI the timing ring will eventually fully separate from the rest of the balancer assembly and be just flopping around if you don't replace it soon.

As for the rebuild question, if the car has had proper oil changes during its life 90,000 miles does not require a rebuild unless you are seeing a constant trail of light gray emissions from the tail pipe or the tail pipe is really wet with oil. Should be good for at least anther 25-30 thousand, maybe even more. But that doesn't mean you may not be soon looking at a timing chain and gears replacement along with the water pump.

• 11 years later...

It’s stated that the Olds 324 engine is internally balanced and that the harmonic balancer is a “0” balance balancer or just a pulley. Mine has separated as well so can I take the loose ring off and just run it as a pulley?  It runs smooth as it is. IMG_2086.jpeg.84b58978f0255381776fbfc546259f33.jpeg