1962 American engine colors?

The OHV 195.6 engines had I believe a gray (sorta like machinery gray or new Ford gray) block and a red rocker arm cover (sorta like International Harvester Red). You could check the paint chip charts at www.autocolorlibrary.com and see if they list the engine colors. Later AMC chip charts do list the enigne colors and paint codes.

They changed the colors on the 195.6 engine sometime around 1963 or 1964. By 1965 the 195.6 OHV engine was Lancelot Turquoise, which was also one of the available paint colors for the whole car for a couple of years. The aluminum block engine block was natural aluminum with a gray/silver rocker arm cover. Joe

I agree. The engine in the car looks like dark gray or black with red valve cover. My 64 engine is the turquoise color.

My wife had a 63 American when it was NEW... her mother worked for American Motors and got a new car for my wife back then when she was still in High School... SHE says it was black... And says NO red valve cover.. But I think she has a bit of memory loss (dont tell her I said so)... HA!

Still would like to see some pictures of original or restored engine compartments..

Rod funcars4us@hotmail.com